• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Running on Two Cylinders

CRBASIN

Donation Time
My Sunbeam is back down on its tires. After replacing all rubber parts in the braking system, I discovered a clogged fuel tank outlet. I had the tanks cleaned at the local radiator shop, where they also coated the insides with some reddish coating. For good measure, I replaced the plastic fuel line with steel and moved the electric fuel pump to the rear.

The car now runs, but only on two cylinders: Removing the spark plug wires from #1 and #2 makes no difference in the idle. Both wires do show a spark when grounded.

Any suggestions?

John

RootesRacer

Donation Time
My Sunbeam is back down on its tires. After replacing all rubber parts in the braking system, I discovered a clogged fuel tank outlet. I had the tanks cleaned at the local radiator shop, where they also coated the insides with some reddish coating. For good measure, I replaced the plastic fuel line with steel and moved the electric fuel pump to the rear.

The car now runs, but only on two cylinders: Removing the spark plug wires from #1 and #2 makes no difference in the idle. Both wires do show a spark when grounded.

Any suggestions?

John

No fuel Carb #1?

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Thanks. I had thought that the intake manifold was common to both cylinders so I had ruled out a carb problem. I will investigate

CRBASIN

Donation Time
I tested out the front carburetor by removing the air cleaner and spraying in some carb cleaner. RPM went up briefly, so I believe the carburetor is the problem. Any suggestions on additional testing before I remove the carbs?

Thanks

John

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I tested out the front carburetor by removing the air cleaner and spraying in some carb cleaner. RPM went up briefly, so I believe the carburetor is the problem. Any suggestions on additional testing before I remove the carbs?

Thanks

John

Stuck float.

skywords

Donation Time
Personally I always start with spark. Unplug one cylinder at a time to find the dead cylinders. If it was carbs i think it would effect more than two. I could be wrong but that's where I would start. Best of luck

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I asgree with Jared,

Since it is two cylinders that are fed by the same carb, it stands to reason that the cylinders aren´t getting any gas.

CRBASIN

Donation Time
Mr. Racer and Jose' are correct. The float valve was stuck closed. I cleaned it in carb cleaner and removed a small amount of "dust" from the bowl, and now I am operating on all cylinders. I will, however, replace plug wires because I was zapped when testing the spark.

Next problem: the alternator is not charging.

Thanks again for your helpful comments and suggestions.

John