• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

cardboard for seat upright - alternatives

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi Folks,
I am recovering my SV seats and have read an excellent article which details the process very well - but - I had expected to find the old cardboard riveted to the back of the backrest - I did not the seats have been recovered before and it was simply missing - so what thickness is that card supposed to be? any ideas on a source or alternative?

Thanks as always

Gary

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Gary,

I just broke a pair of SV seats that should supply the back cards you need for your reupholstering. Send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

Rgds, Mark ..... volvoguys (Harrisburg)

Geoff 67

Donation Time
Gary

I recently redid my seats and replaced the warped and moldy cardboard with pieces of vinyl flooring. It is a little thicker but I don't think it will warp or dent. So far so good.

Geoff

Last edited:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Gary

I recently redid my seats and replaced the warped and moldy cardboard with pieces of vinyl flooring. It is a little thicker but I don't think it will warp or dent. So far so good.

Geoff

Do,you not think vinyl flooring is too,flexible
You could use 1/8th plywood or tempered Masonite. I've used this since forever and no problems at all. Would recommend a coat of oil paint before covering.
Works well for door panels etc.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I tried making panels out of 1/16" ABS plastic, but felt like it was too stiff, especially in the back where I feared it might cut the vinyl. I ended up just buying art board, as recommended in the article, but am certain there are better solutions out there. I'm still surprised that none of the usual suppliers carry them.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I tried making panels out of 1/16" ABS plastic, but felt like it was too stiff, especially in the back where I feared it might cut the vinyl. I ended up just buying art board, as recommended in the article, but am certain there are better solutions out there. I'm still surprised that none of the usual suppliers carry them.

65beam

Donation Time
seat

Jim,
There are a lot of items that he sells that are not listed in his catalog. he doesn't show new 1725 short blocks either but he has an overseas shipping container load of them. we've used four sets of the cardboard backs on our cars and I have one set in the attic. I buy from him at least two times a month and I always ask what he has in that he was either out of or has started stocking. it does take a phone call to find out.

gary1725

Donation Time
I didn't see them in the catalogue so didn't think to ask! I will call Rick and get what I need!

I have a delay following an accident in the car so we will see.....

thanks for all the ideas!

Gary

gary1725

Donation Time
I spoke to Rick on Friday - he no longer carries the cards for the seat backs! back to looking for an alternative...

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Try a local auto upholstery shop, if they don't have it maybe they can point you in the right direction

Tom j