• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash pad replacement

Acollin

Donation Time
Series v 1966

I picked up contact cement at my hardware store today and spoke with the staff about using the "weldwood". They confirmed it was great stuff and told me how formica installers often use it. They said try real hard to make your initial effort at mating the surfaces the only effort.

Given that some of you have had trouble with the wax paper notion describe in the instructions that come with the pad, I was wondering if other ways of separating( aligning) the surfaces before mating have been more successful. The folks at the hardware store said formica installers will often use wooden dowels. I thought maybe strips of wood like paint stir sticks might work well with the contours of the dash.

Any thoughts or advice would be really helpful as this is the next step for me in putting my car back together.

Thanks
Andrew

tom o

Donation Time
I was a formica counter top installer back in the 70's. we used old venetian blinds as spacers. they are steel like a tape measure. you can stick a corner or two and then pull the out.

skywords

Donation Time
When it comes to adhesives and tapes I use only 3M their 1300 and 1357 cements cannot be beat. As far as positioning it the more hands the better.