• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine windscreen trim - Install - any advice on order of assembly

DenJr67

Donation Time
I am assembling our 1967 Alpine , I restored all of the stainless windscreen trim that was dented and scratched up

I looking for some helpful advice on installing the trim ...

I did install the windscreen glass into the restored windscreen frame and I had to mount it to the car at the time to transport the vehicle

I am thinking though it may be necessary to loosen the windscreen frame from the body ?

Is there any tricks to get the side panels on and into the groove at the top of the windscreen frame ?

soapy water and fresh fingers ?

Attachments

• image1 (7).JPG
    image1 (7).JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Probubly not nessessary to loosen the frame. The top piece will go back on with little love and a rubber mallet. The bottom piece is held in by the rubber and the side pieces. The side pieces are pop riveted on, with the pillar and frame weather strip screwed on over that. The only thing you need to worry about is identifying what holes had screws and what had rivets.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
As a follow up, (and maybe someone can confirm) I believe the first side piece that makes up the trim has two pop rivets, followed by the rain gutter piece that has another 2 or 3 rivets.

You can locate those first rivet holes by lining up the two pieces off of the car, then flip it over and identify the holes that don't go though the top piece. It will be two or three. These are your first layer rivet holes. Confirm by placing on the frame and you should see that they line up with holes on the frame.

Hope that all makes sense.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A great item for adjustment to the wind screen....

Just in case you are not aware of an item of great benefit, Here is an item I utilize for my cars when doing a wind screen repair/replacement.

Found on Page 20 Sunbeam Specialties Catalog
WINDSHIELD POST UP OR DOWN ADJ. NUTS, S.III-V, TIGER, PAIR WS58 21.75

DanR

DenJr67

Donation Time
Thank you

Thanks for the replies

and the detailed explanation mr. P. Scofield , + Dan and Bikes , I do have those adjusters also ;)

DenJr67

Donation Time
I am having trouble with the windscreen gasket , the outer lip does not want to cover much over the bottom edge of the stainless trim , like it's too short. Any ideas ?

I am blaming the rubber at this point , It came with the windscreen and it is a V.B. sourced glass/rubber

I have pushed from the inside and pulled from the outside on the rubber ( i did not use any glue or silicon sealer ) and still am coming up where either it barely covers the edge or just meets up to it.

Attachments

• image1 (13).JPG
    image1 (13).JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 38

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
I initially had the same problem... using that same brand of gasket... The pushing from the inside is what finally did the trick, but my glass was freshly installed and it seemed like it moved fairly easily. Maybe yours has been in the frame long enough that whatever you used for slickum when you put the glass in the frame has dried out and won't give up it's grip.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yep. They're basically tube nuts and have a small lip on the top. The lip then pushes against the body to raise the ends of the windshield frame. So in order to get them on the outer studs, has to come off.