• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Leaf spring to diff gasket?

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi all,
Should there be anything in between the leaf spring and the diff housing? Something like a thick (2mm) gasket? If so, what purpose would such a thing serve?

This isn't specific to Alpines, but a question in general.

Regards,
Paul.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Stephen, A bit more digging and I've found these things are called 'isolation pads' and are used to reduce noise and vibration. Some makes have two rubber pads, one on top and one below the leaf spring on each side where the spring is clamped to the diff/axle.

Regards,
Paul

65beam

Donation Time
gasket

there wasn't a gasket or pad of this type used on alpines. there is a metal locating plate that goes between the spring and the clamp plate. this plate has a hole for the center bolt and comes up over the sides of the springs.

sd_pace

Donation Time
My 67 has the plate ... but more important are the four rubber or graphite dots on the outer parts of the leafs... I need to replace those but have no idea how to fine direct replacements.... thinking of some teflon wear pads from summit or something like that....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The pads are supposed to be available from our usual suppliers. I don't know, I purchased spring liner ten or more years ago from Speedway Motors, not even realizing the Alpines used a wear button.

Finally installed it when I did my spring redo. I used the liner between all leafs (the Alpine buttons are not between all leafs) and cut long enough to run the entire length of the leaf. So far, I'm very happy with the result. Upon reassembly and the usual garage testing, I was shocked to see how compliant the rear suspension actually is. The rear springs actually work and the car does not crow hop across interstate bridges!

This is the stuff I bought, available in different widths.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Leaf-Spring-Liner-with-Lip-2-Inch,39861.html

Bill

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks Bill ...
I talked to Rick the other day and he said he used to carry the buttons, but the supplier had stop making them. I saw some stuff that had ears for the holes ... still would have to modify to make work... may try your suggestion...

spudman5

Donation Time
Bill,

When you used the liners from Speedway Performance, did you use the liner between all of the leaves or just the ones that have the button slides (the 3 longest if my memory still works)?
When you put the rebound clamps back around the springs, did you use the factory original ones with the rubber around the inside of the clamp? With the additional thickness of the liners, I wonder if the original clamps would still work.

Mike