• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 V6 Heads

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Some questions about V6 heads.

After picking up a set of heads from Kelly (thanks buddy) I drilled the recommended cooling holes between the exhaust valves and tomorrow I'll have them cleaned, fluxed and a valve job done on them.

My cracked heads were stamped '83, these replacements are stamped '77.

1) Are there differences in the heads from different years?

2) Can I still use my new 85 2.8 head gaskets?

Speaking of head gaskets, I ordered Fel-Pro head gaskets but the ones I received are Black, made in Canada (no offense) and don't have Fel-Pro any where on them. My old ones had the typical gray Fel-Pro gasket with the orange outline and logo.

3) Are there differences in head gaskets? As in cheap, don't use ones?

The heads look interchangeable, as in, both sides look the same.

4) Is there a ' left and right side' head?

When I removed my cracked heads I was careful to keep track of where each push rod came from and its orientation and to mark the left and right side rocker arm assemblies.

These replacement heads have their own rocker arm assemblies,springs and valves.

5) With these replacement heads should I use the their rocker arm assemblies with the old push rods (assuming they're straight) or should I use my old rocker arm assemblies along with the old push rods?

Thanks

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

I'm sure you'll get at least a couple of different flavored answers to your questions, so I'll let others answer them.

I'd suggest that you keep the rockers and all of the shafts and mounting post from the cracked heads. They may come in handy at some point.

Rich

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Mike,

I'm sure you'll get at least a couple of different flavored answers to your questions, so I'll let others answer them.

I'd suggest that you keep the rockers and all of the shafts and mounting post from the cracked heads. They may come in handy at some point.

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks, will do.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
There are just two versions of the heads that I know of.

You can use the gaskets that you sourced, although I would make sure they are Felpro gaskets.

All the 2.8 V6 heads are interchangeable side to side. They are identical.

I woudn´t worry about the rocker arms. I do suggest having them and the rockers rebuilt. Delta Camshaft does a great job and are very reasonable. The push rods are not critical either, so put thewm where ever you want. You will be adjusting the valves anyway.

I think you are overthinking all of this. These engines are very simple so you will have success buildong it.

José

Some questions about V6 heads.

After picking up a set of heads from Kelly (thanks buddy) I drilled the recommended cooling holes between the exhaust valves and tomorrow I'll have them cleaned, fluxed and a valve job done on them.

My cracked heads were stamped '83, these replacements are stamped '77.

1) Are there differences in the heads from different years?

2) Can I still use my new 85 2.8 head gaskets?

Speaking of head gaskets, I ordered Fel-Pro head gaskets but the ones I received are Black, made in Canada (no offense) and don't have Fel-Pro any where on them. My old ones had the typical gray Fel-Pro gasket with the orange outline and logo.

3) Are there differences in head gaskets? As in cheap, don't use ones?

The heads look interchangeable, as in, both sides look the same.

4) Is there a ' left and right side' head?

When I removed my cracked heads I was careful to keep track of where each push rod came from and its orientation and to mark the left and right side rocker arm assemblies.

These replacement heads have their own rocker arm assemblies,springs and valves.

5) With these replacement heads should I use the their rocker arm assemblies with the old push rods (assuming they're straight) or should I use my old rocker arm assemblies along with the old push rods?

Thanks

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
There are just two versions of the heads that I know of.

You can use the gaskets that you sourced, although I would make sure they are Felpro gaskets.

All the 2.8 V6 heads are interchangeable side to side. They are identical.

I woudn´t worry about the rocker arms. I do suggest having them and the rockers rebuilt. Delta Camshaft does a great job and are very reasonable. The push rods are not critical either, so put thewm where ever you want. You will be adjusting the valves anyway.

I think you are overthinking all of this. These engines are very simple so you will have success buildong it.

José

Hi Jose, thanks.

Are the two versions the early to late 70's Mutt II version and the early 80's Bronco/Ranger version?

How are the different? (If there are any), just curious.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, The '74-78's are the early, You can also find them on some other cars like the '79 Capris and '83-85 are considered late.

As noted earlier, don't chuck your "cracked" heads they may yet be FIXED!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

The 1974 heads were made with no passeges for smog exhaust recirculation. They are the preferred heads for modifying to make more power, since the intake charge isn´t contaminated and diluted with spent exhaust gases.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Mike,

The 1974 heads were made with no passeges for smog exhaust recirculation. They are the preferred heads for modifying to make more power, since the intake charge isn´t contaminated and diluted with spent exhaust gases.

Interesting, thanks Jose.

pcmenten

Donation Time
I modified my Bronco II intake by welding shut the EGR port at the upper surface of the lower manifold. I also cut down the upper part of the intake manifold down to eliminate the EGR valve ports and lower the overall height of the manifold. The result is an intake that has exhaust gas heating to improve fuel atomization/vaporization.

I'm thinking I'll mount a heat shield between the upper and lower intake parts to help isolate heat from the carb.

gordonra

Donation Time
This makes me think back.... I don't recall who, but someone on this forum was trying to turn a stock 2 barrel intake into a 4 barrel intake a couple years back. Never heard what happened, so I'd assume it didn't work out as they expected.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, The '74-78's are the early, You can also find them on some other cars like the '79 Capris and '83-85 are considered late.

2.8's were also used in some 79 mustangs and Granada's until the supply was exhausted, then the inline 6's were the common 6 cylinder's.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not to exhaust the supply, Mercury Bobcats, (still trying to buy). The Pinto's also, I have found two wagons and a coupe w/2,8 V6's.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Just to add to the info. The 2.8 V6 Pinto/Bobcat usually had the 8" Ford rear also. The 1986 Aerostar van also used the 2.8 V6.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor

2.8's were also used in some 79 mustangs and Granada's until the supply was exhausted, then the inline 6's were the common 6 cylinder's.

My 2.8 came from a 79 fox body Mustang. Nice thing about the 79 Mustang 2.8 is that it already has a rear sump pan.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Same with the '79 Mercury Capri's I bought! 2.8 V6 including the correct (rear sump) oil pan.

Didn't know about the Bob cat 8"rear ends.... Thanks for that tid-bit Jim....

Last edited: