• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 v6 conversion questions

cobraii78

Donation Time
Hey All,

Just a couple of questions as I start my 2.8 Ford V6 rebuild. I am using a '77 block and heads.

1. I know I am to move the dipstick location using the newer oil pan. Which dipstick and tube do i need to use? Later Ranger or earlier Mustang II?

2.The starter I have is off an auto trans car. Will it work with the 5spd manual conversion?

3.Does the original 2.8 fuel pump need to be removed for the conversion? If so, what are people using for a block off plate and does anyone have a source for getting one?

I'm sure there will be more questions as I get deeper into this. Thanks for any help.

Mike

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

I recommend using a dip stick from a Ranger, since you are going to use the Ranger pan. If you use a diferent stick, mark it where the engine if full and where it reaches on the dip stick.

The starter from the automatic will work with the stick bellhousing.

You don´t need to remove the stock fuel pump to do the conversion, but if it goes out and has to be changed, you will play heck changing it, becayse it will be buried under the alternator and is a real pain to change in that position. I recommend using a Holley red pump (electric), and mount it close to the fuel tank. Make sure it is well insulated from the body of battery box, or the noise will drive you crazy. There is no block off plate you can buy. Mosdt guys make one up using the gasket as a template. You can make it from aluminum so it is easier to work with.

I´m glad to see you are starting on your project. I hope to hear that you got it started it up for the first time.

Jose

Hey All,

Just a couple of questions as I start my 2.8 Ford V6 rebuild. I am using a '77 block and heads.

1. I know I am to move the dipstick location using the newer oil pan. Which dipstick and tube do i need to use? Later Ranger or earlier Mustang II?

2.The starter I have is off an auto trans car. Will it work with the 5spd manual conversion?

3.Does the original 2.8 fuel pump need to be removed for the conversion? If so, what are people using for a block off plate and does anyone have a source for getting one?

I'm sure there will be more questions as I get deeper into this. Thanks for any help.

Mike

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Sound insulation for Holley Red fuel pump

Jose said "
I recommend using a Holley red pump (electric), and mount it close to the fuel tank. Make sure it is well insulated from the body of battery box, or the noise will drive you crazy. "

The pump works great but is noisy in the Alpine- it is much easier to insulate properly when installing than afterwards.

cobraii78

Donation Time
Thanks guys for the replies. I guess I'll be on the hunt for a ranger or bronco II dipstick and tube. Jose, I'm really looking forward to hearing it run as well.

Mike

cobraii78

Donation Time
Thanks guys for the replies. I guess I'll be on the hunt for a ranger or bronco II dipstick and tube. Jose, I'm really looking forward to hearing it run as well.

Mike

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
fuel pump block off plate.

Hi Mike....
To answer your question #3. Its really not necessary to go to the trouble of making a block off plate and gasket.
A standard metric 20mm cup freeze plug driven into that hole in the block will provide a quick and neat plug. There is no oil pressure to that fuel pump mounting hole but a dab of sealant around the freeze plug might be a good idea. The plug will only go in about an inch.
No fabrication......Looks neat.......Much quicker....
win...win...win...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fuel Pump Block Plate

A good idea from: Gitnrusty.... But, if you wish,

I have fabricated a block plate for when you wish to not utilize the stock fuel pump. ($10.00).

Send me an e-mail or call Area code "eight-six-four" five 5 four Zero 8 one four.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

I think I like Gittinrusty´s solution. I had never looked into a plug to block it off, but I think it is even better than a block off plate. I´m sure it is cheaper too.

Jose