• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Grant Steering Wheel Adapter

T L Alfreno

Donation Time
I realize this topic has been fairly well discussed but please bare with me.
My son gave me his Grant steering wheel that I would like to put on my
67 Alpine V w/adjustable column. I'd rather not sacrifice my original steering
wheel (although it is in very poor condition) to fabricate an adapter but will if
necessary.
Researching the Forum archives there is strong evidence that a 80’s Mazda RX7 adapter from Grant (part #3597) will fit our Alpines. It seems conclusive but one poster described his splined shaft as ½’ w/36 teeth and another poster described his as 5/8 w/39 teeth. I measure mine at 5/8 (.615 actual) w/36 teeth.
I realize that I may have to give up the column adjustability “on the fly†feature and I am fine with that.
I would like to hear from any members that have used the Grant RX7 adapter or members that have definite knowledge that the RX7 adapter (part #3597) will work.
Thanks… Terry Alfreno

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
There is a hub that fits perfect, I belive it is the Motolita or Lacara brand, its been a few years since I did mine, and you do not lose your telescopic wheel set up. :cool:

T L Alfreno

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply George. Moto-Lita does list a hub for Alpines w/adjustable column.
I would like to find a way to use the Grant steering wheel and it doesn't appear that it will bolt up to a Moto-Lita hub.... Terry

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
grant wheel

Try the RX7 Mazda(Grant) apparently its close enough to work we however changed the column to an ididit open up lots of options.

Last edited:

T L Alfreno

Donation Time
I emailed Grants Tech Support and ask them for a part # for an adapter that would fit a 5/8" 36 tooth spline. They replied simply "kit 3196". I measure my shaft at .615 and although that is .010 under 5/8 I'm assuming that would be a 5/8 splined shaft, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts out there in that regard?
The Grant 3196 kit fits a wide range of GM cars from the 60's & 70's. The adapter kit isn't that expensive so I think I'm going to try it.... Terry

T L Alfreno

Donation Time
After looking harder at the steering wheel to shaft connection, I think I'm giving up on finding a Grant adapter that will work. The Alpine steering shaft has a taper in front of the spline that mates with a taper in the steering wheel hub. I'm not seeing that taper on images of Mazda RX7's or early GM steering shafts. It's my belief that the taper fit between the hub & shaft is carrying most of the torsional load and not the serrated spline.
This is not to say that someone hasn't successfully used a Grant adapter with matching spline. But I think it's a less than ideal connection.
Unless someone can point me to a Grant adapter that has a matching taper..... I give up.

Hodee

Donation Time
Grant adapter

I have a Grant wheel on my Ser V with the Mazda adapter. Seems fine. The splined portion of the adapter covers about 5/8 inch of the shaft length though.

T L Alfreno

Donation Time
After reading your reply, Hodee, I tried the Mazda adaptor (part #3597). It is a very nice fit. It has the matching taper to the steering shaft. Like you pointed out, the splined portion of the adapter is a little shorter than the splined portion of the shaft, but I don't see that as an issue. Thanks Hodee for replying to my Post.
I want to go on record here for anyone in the future... The 1980 Mazda RX7 Grant adapter (Grant part #3597) is an almost exact cross match for the Alpine steering shaft.
Thanks to all those that responded to my Post.... Terry

Charles Johns

Donation Time
THANKS to everyone! I started a post and got enough response I feel safe ordering a #3597 for my Series V. I already have a Grant wheel but it is iffy as a final user. Since I have had it 25 or so years and put it on several Street Rods just to get them home or on the trailer, it will be replaced. But knowing the Mazda RX7 1980 adaptor works...Thank you very much guys. Order placed tomorrow AM.