• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear view mirror for 1962 SII

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Recently, my 1962 Series II rear view mirror's adhesive fatigued and the mirror fell out of the mount. As I attempted to press it back in, the mirror broke. So, I need a new mirror or mirror and mirror mount. Any one out there have one?

Has anyone had a new mirror cut to fit? I'm thinking this would be a good alternative. What glue, adhesive, or bonding material would be best to remount a new mirror?

Thanks for any help.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
MaMoose, I had a couple cut at the local glass shop.... Did a good job and they glued one of my mirrors.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Didn't the SII's all come with the curved glass mirrors? That glass would be pretty much unobtainium, but I am pretty sure it was stuck in place with black putty. There is a particular name for it and hopefully someone here knows what I am talking about and can supply a reference and source. It is a very sticky black putty that comes in ribbons, not unlike the grey putty that goes under the windshield. Just black and much stickier. I have a lifetime supply of it that I purchased a few years ago from an auto repair shop that was going out of business, but unfortunately my supply is lost somewhere in the depths of my storage facility and I can't get at it for several more months, at the best.

Fastback

Donation Time
3M makes a black compound called Seam Sealer. Comes in a pack of long ribbons; very pliable but sticky and in time seals pretty hard. Try a body shop or auto paint supplier.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,

My Series II has a flat 3" x 5" (approx.) mirror .... no curve. But thanks for the suggestions on adhesive. I think I will try a glass or mirror shop for a custom made new mirror.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
3M makes a black compound called Seam Sealer. Comes in a pack of long ribbons; very pliable but sticky and in time seals pretty hard. Try a body shop or auto paint supplier.

That sounds like the stuff I have. Someone here send me a few strips of it a few years ago when i was rebuilding a SII mirror and it worked great. I bought 1 1/2 boxes of it at the shop's sale, figuring I'd have plenty to share with others. Which I will do, once I can access everything in my storage locker.