• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stuck Piston Rings

MOONPYLOT

Donation Time
Just got my 66 Alpine SV and it was running on 3 cylinders. After checking plugs (all carboned-up), I ran a compression check: #1 - 25; #2 - 125; #3 - 125; #4 - 120. I believe it did a lot of sitting the last few years. Seller says it had a head gasket leak and he had the head machined, and installed a new head gasket set from SS. I suspect he never checked compression after this. I suspect frozen rings in cylinder 1, and partially stuck in the rest. I will be soaking with MMO tomorrow morning, and waiting a few days to see if that works. Any suggestions?
~CR

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Did you check the valve clearance on cylinder number one? Might be a tight/burnt valve......

MOONPYLOT

Donation Time
Thanks, I will have to check the valve clearance then, for cylinder 1, but not until I give the MMO a chance to soak into the ring grooves for a day. I just applied it minutes ago, about 2 oz per cylinder. I also added about 5 oz MMO to oil.

I don't yet suspect a valve because the seller stated he had the head machined. I'm hoping his mechanic (or he) would have addressed valve clearance at that time. Besides, he stated that he replaced the head gaskets due to a leaking head gasket. I deduce, at this point, that he was mistaken, since a new head gasket didn't solve the problem.

This is the second car I purchased on Ebay (I will NEVER do that again! You can never ask enough questions or drive it. It's a pig in a poke). My Model A Ford was purchased on Ebay and I got a good deal on a great car, so I expected the same with the Alpine... great looker, but mechanically neglected.

Nickodell

Donation Time
If freeing the rings doesn't work, try putting a tablespoonful of motor oil - preferably a high SAE number like 40 - in the low comp. cylinder (they're all very low, I mean the one off the charts), replacing the plug, and compression testing before the oil has chance to slip down into the sump and is still acting as a temporary seal. If that doesn't restore comp., you either have a gasket leak or a burnt/stuck valve.