• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Choke Cable Needed

10sguru

Donation Time
Choke cable housing has separated from the shaft mounting on the back side of the dash. Cable and knob are in great shape. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Jim

10sguru

Donation Time
Dan, I am in Bristol, Tennessee. Just recently joined the forum and have updated my profile. I am running the stock setup with twin Stromberg 150s.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I had this same problem and fixed it by 1) putting some heat shrink tubing on the shaft and cable (I am not near the car at the moment, but think it was no more than about 4" in total) and then 2) putting a small hose clamp around the union between the two. I don't know if the tubing makes any difference, but as I recall, my first attempt with just the clamp didn't last. It won't look pretty to anyone who looks under the dashboard, but it has held fine for about 5 years. The clamp needs to be removed if you want to take the control off of the dashboard, but how often do you need to do that?

johnd

Donation Time
My choke cable broke last year - went and bought a new "universal' cable at NAPA. It isn't original but it actually works better than the old one - and does not look all that different. If I remember correctly I paid about $10 for it.

10sguru

Donation Time
Jim (Alpine 1789) - I actually had a buddy mention the heat shrink tubing and then I suggested adding a small hose clamp. Good to know great minds think alike :D and that this fix has been holding for 5 years. Thanks for the reply. Cheers.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Choke cable?

Any one have an old original one that is broken but the Knob is OK?

Perhaps the cable, inner or outer are bad but knob is OK

I'd be interested in trying to "fix" it.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim (Alpine 1789) - I actually had a buddy mention the heat shrink tubing and then I suggested adding a small hose clamp. Good to know great minds think alike :D and that this fix has been holding for 5 years. Thanks for the reply. Cheers.

I won't be near my car until a week from Friday, but I will be happy to take a photo for you then if you need it. But, as I recall, it was very straight-forward. A simple task for a fellow great mind.

10sguru

Donation Time
Repaired the cable using JB Weld's strongest steel reinforced epoxy rated at a tensile strength of 3,960 PSI. Let it cure for 48 hours, re-installed and works perfectly :cool:

Attachments

• Choke Cable.jpg
    Choke Cable.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 23