• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Seats 1964 Alpine

alpine_64

Donation Time
Alpine_64
The biggest problem I have is getting my legs jammed up against the gearlever but need a little extra legroom for the gearlever (or I suppose I could cut it down so that my leg goes over the top !...might make changing gear a little awkward)

Clive

Clive, the stock Alpine shifters lean back toward the driver quite a lot, so assume that the issue is more problematic when the car is in 4th gear (rhd)?

A Hillman floor shifter might be a better option, they dont lean back they are far more vertical. I have one in my SII, the lever is less likely to be in the way and as a bonus is closer to the same height as the wheel.. so more to hand when changing gear.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Clive, the stock Alpine shifters lean back toward the driver quite a lot, so assume that the issue is more problematic when the car is in 4th gear (rhd)?

A Hillman floor shifter might be a better option, they dont lean back they are far more vertical. I have one in my SII, the lever is less likely to be in the way and as a bonus is closer to the same height as the wheel.. so more to hand when changing gear.

Interesting - although I have a Series 1 it has an all syncro box and I have always wondered when engaging 1st and 3rd, why the stick almost contacts the dash panel, in fact I often nudge the radio on/off button; is this normal ??

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interesting - although I have a Series 1 it has an all syncro box and I have always wondered when engaging 1st and 3rd, why the stick almost contacts the dash panel, in fact I often nudge the radio on/off button; is this normal ??

Sounds very much like a hillman box and shifter.. I could change radio buttons in 1st and 3rd on mine with a small reach of a finger. I see if i can find a picture of the shifter and post it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
OK,

not the best picture as it's somewhat out of context, and the lever is probably leaning back in the 2nd/4th alpine.. but you can see how the hillman shifter has a vertical part at the base and then a more oblique angle for the kink of the shifter... When in the 1st/3rd plane it's vertical, where as in the stock alpine ones are not and they as in my pics here its still quite upright in the 2nd/4th plane where as the stock alpine are very laid down in the 2nd/4th plane

Attachments

• engine_out_01.jpg
    engine_out_01.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 24
  • engine_out_02.jpg
    engine_out_02.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 34

65beam

Donation Time
alpine

the obvious and least time consuming fix to change the angle of the shift lever would be to decide where you want it to be in 4th gear or whatever gear. then cut and reweld it. that would give you unlimited options. and you would not have to spend the time looking for a Hillman part.

bbonner

Donation Time
seat comfort

Hi everyone....we could not find seats we wanted to put into my 64 Sunbeam Alpine. The seats we got with the car had the back with only a piece of cardboard and then two metal bars on each side of the seat and top and bottom bar of back of seat. My husband said try putting webbing from the bar to bar like a lawn chair under the cushion. So we tried it and guess what. Much much better. Now I have support on my middle back and the loose cushion stays in place instead of moving around. I don't know if my seats were suppose to have some type of webbing there and it was missing or if this just happens to work for me. Just an idea for those of you suffering from uncomfortable back cushions. Thanks everyone and good luck

mikephillips

Donation Time
Seats in my blue Tiger and Red Alpine both had a fabric rapping from the top to bottom horizontal rails in the seat back when taken apart. Other later seats I've seen did not so I 'd know if it was discontinued, sporatic or other. In any case I replicated it using a strip of cheap bedsheet as it was close to the original material that was left.

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
Michael

Good idea however the issue is more pronounced when in 3rd gear because of how close my knees get to the dash..getting into 4th is a relief!

Thanks for the ideas though

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Lumbar support

When I redid my seats I purchased from Moss motors a Lunbar support air bag....it has a hose with a squeezeball to pump it up and a valve to release air....I have the squeeze ball in the center consul......helps with my lower back...look at Moss website to see if they still have them as it was years ago that i didi this