• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Seats 1964 Alpine

bbonner

Donation Time
My seats are so uncomfortable. We bought the new foam and new seat covers but I guess maybe my age is showing but find these uncomfortable in my old age. These are the ones that the middle is loose or separate from the rest of the seat? Of course when we took them apart we could see why as the support is two metal rods down the back of the seat with cardboard like formed to the seat back. The back is what bothers me not the seat cushion. Is there any better seats for these alpines/tigers that would look okay Full of upgrades as I get older and wiser

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
The foam rubber in the seats of our 1965 Alpine has been crumbling for some time and makes an unsightly mess on the carpet, so we plan to have the foam replaced. Can you tell me where you bought your replacement foam?
Thanks.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Although not stock or factory original, I've replaced my seats w/miata seats. Very comfortable, not a hard mod w/speakers in headrest as bonus.
Ron

bbonner

Donation Time

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I'll try to get some pics, but will have to wait until I get her down off blocks. It's not pretty, but works, besides who looks under the seats, except to find that last cigarette you dropped month's ago.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Ron. I have a set of Miata "S" seats - the ones with separate headrests - in the basement. I have test fit them into my car, but wasn't completely happy with the fit, as they sit just a little higher than stock and my thighs rub against the steering wheel. I am always curious to see how others have done it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

What year / model seats are yours? Would the year / model be very different?

DanR

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi

i too tried to reupholster my seats and the back is great now. I used Aluminium sheet pop riveted on instead of the cardboard. The seat bottom is a different manner. I am 6ft 11ins tall and when I put the newly reupholstered seat in I couldn't get my legs under the steering wheel anymore!! As a result I took the foam out and replaced it with the old seat back foam I had just replaced ...it is better but not pretty. Anyone else who is height challenged found a way to make a bit more space? Of course one of the ways would be to get a car bigger than the Alpine but that would just be plain wrong :)

Clive

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Hi

i too tried to reupholster my seats and the back is great now. I used Aluminium sheet pop riveted on instead of the cardboard. The seat bottom is a different manner. I am 6ft 11ins tall and when I put the newly reupholstered seat in I couldn't get my legs under the steering wheel anymore!! As a result I took the foam out and replaced it with the old seat back foam I had just replaced ...it is better but not pretty. Anyone else who is height challenged found a way to make a bit more space? Of course one of the ways would be to get a car bigger than the Alpine but that would just be plain wrong :)

Clive

Did you write correctly? 6'-11"? If I planned to keep the Alpine a long time, I'd seriously consider major bodywork, as in carving out an inch or two of the occasional seat area and relocating your seat track.

Short term? I found I gained a precious bit of space for my meager 6'-2" frame by removing the height adjustment bar under the seat.

dmich2

Donation Time
Maybe I missed it, but I redid my SIV seats ( built in 64, but titled a 65) and the biggest difference maker in improving comfort was installing new diaphragms. Now if your seats didn't have them....then, nevermind. Just a thought.

Dennis

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi RootesRooter

yes 6ft 11ins is correct.....I will take the seat adjuster bar off as you suggest.
I dont want to carve the car up as it is a Harrington D Series (Series IV body) and possibly the only one on the roads in the UK - doesnt seem the right thing to do...
I have had the car a long time but only back on the road seriously this year...perhaps I'll shrink with age!

Did you write correctly? 6'-11"? If I planned to keep the Alpine a long time, I'd seriously consider major bodywork, as in carving out an inch or two of the occasional seat area and relocating your seat track.

Short term? I found I gained a precious bit of space for my meager 6'-2" frame by removing the height adjustment bar under the seat.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Clive,

Sounds like you are ok for room if you have a D series. They ave the vent in the rear edge of the hardtop (much like a LAT bonnet vent backwards) simply remove the seats, sit on the rear Harrington seat and use the vent for headroom! :D

On a serious note.. relocating the seat so the backrest sits hard against the parcel shelf is a good idea.. maybe modify the pedals to move them closer to the firewall to allow more legroom. easier if you go to a cable throttle as you can modify the amount of pedal travel to throttle opening.. bit harder on the mechanical linkage.

65beam

Donation Time
alpine

clive,
there is a series D here in the states and it also is on a series 4 body. i'm sure you know rick. he should have it at the TE/AE united in October.

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi 65beam

yes I know of Rick and I was lucky enough to have my car restored in the same workshop as Rick's car resided before it left the UK with him. I know Buell (sorry dont know full name) has ex-Roy Winters car over in Washington state. Those three are the only ones I know of that are running but I could be wrong.

clive,
there is a series D here in the states and it also is on a series 4 body. i'm sure you know rick. he should have it at the TE/AE united in October.

Last edited:

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
Alpine_64

All good ideas (except the one about sitting on the rear seat :rolleyes: )
The biggest problem I have is getting my legs jammed up against the gearlever on the left and the indicator stalk on the right. I can shorten the indicator stalk but need a little extra legroom for the gearlever (or I suppose I could cut it down so that my leg goes over the top !...might make changing gear a little awkward)

Clive

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

What year / model seats are yours? Would the year / model be very different?

DanR

Mine are from a 95, which is the only year those particular seats were offered in the US. I should have said "M" Addition, not "S". (see http://www.miata.net/faq/mfield.html) I bought them for my SIV V6 and like them because of the removable headrest. It means that I could still use a tonneau. They are really nice seats and almost a perfect fit. I think I had them as low as humanly possible, but they were still just enough higher than stock that my legs still rubbed a bit on the steering wheel. I will probably just end up putting a 14" wheel in the car to compensate, but I am always interested in how others have done it, in case there is a better way.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Clive,

Sounds like you are ok for room if you have a D series. They ave the vent in the rear edge of the hardtop (much like a LAT bonnet vent backwards) simply remove the seats, sit on the rear Harrington seat and use the vent for headroom! :D

Removing the seat and sitting on the parcel shelf worked just fine for Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando.