• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stock Spring Rate

alpine87fp

Donation Time
I'm looking to replace the worn out front coil springs and wondering what the spring rate is for new, stock coil springs for a SV. Any one have this info in a manual or... .?

alpine87fp

Donation Time
Yes, I am aware of that, thanks. I'm wanting to stiffen up the suspension beyond the soft stock springs, but don't want to go too far and end up beating the car apart. :)

socorob

Donation Time
I'd like to find out the same thing for a S2. I'd like to know spring rate, free length and inner and outer diameters of the spring. I'd like to go up some too. It doesn't look like it would be easy to adapt coilovers, but I haven't pulled the front end apart to get a really good look.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It's been a while since I've been on the site. I went through and made a list of all the differences between the springs over the years. I posted it here years ago. Hopefully it is still here. I will see if I have the information on my computer at home.

Meanwhile, I did conclude that the best result was to put S3 springs on my SV front end. This lowered the car just enough to make it look correct. It always bothered me that the front end on SV's sat up so high. You could fit a full fist on top of the tire and your hand still wouldn't touch the lip of the fender. The S3 springs take care of that.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It's been a while since I've been on the site. I went through and made a list of all the differences between the springs over the years. I posted it here years ago. Hopefully it is still here.

It is still here. While the forum's search engine can be frustrating at times, the fact that it allows you to search by member can be very helpful. Searching for threads containing the word "springs" by Jay gives you:

www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4534

socorob

Donation Time
It appears nobody knows for sure what pound rating they were. I wonder if VB can tell us what their springs are? Can anyone with VB springs that autox, tracks, etc let us know if they should be stiffer or softer for performance driving? that may make getting custom springs easier to figure out if we have a good starting point.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill
Did you reshape the cut end

Yeah, I heated the spring and bent the last quarter-turn down, then blended it in with a grinder.
IMG_1129.jpg

Not factory, but not all that bad.

Bill

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Bill

Looks pretty good to this guy.I knew it would need to be cut down. I have cut a few springs in my time.I was wondering if you may have used a Mustang II aftermarket centering piece.It does not need the bottom squared.I do have those in my Lister.