• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Unexpected source of parts

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
This may not be news to everyone, but I just noticed that J. C. Whitney (jcwhitney.com) still has a lot of stuff for Alpines at pretty good prices. For example, how about a new, not rebuilt, water pump for $28.79? Or a set of Beck Arnley ignition wires for $14.99? And they guarantee that anything listed for an Alpine will work. It's worth checking out before you pay a ton somewhere else.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I was also surprised to see so many parts with Alpine applications. A couple of decades ago, their print catalog mentioned the name Sunbeam maybe once or twice total.

However, the photos say they may not exactly match the actual part. Example: A real wheel cylinder listed for '66 Alpine is under $20 (such a deal!) but the photo doesn't remotely look like a Series Alpine wheel cylinder.

I don't want to be the one to roll the dice and go thru the hassle of returning an incorrect wheel cylinder for credit, having been burned on just such a transaction with a well-established eBay dealer of European Parts a couple of years ago.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
If they were the only source for a part made of unobtainium, I'd gladly order from them. We're a very small part of their business. I prefer to support suppliers who support us. Sunbeam Specialties and Classic Sunbeam. They are dedicated to our Marque and deserve first shot.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I prefer to support suppliers who support us. Sunbeam Specialties and Classic Sunbeam. They are dedicated to our Marque and deserve first shot.

I completely agree! Rick and Curt have been stable suppliers of quality parts at fair prices for us for years.:)

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I don't mind throwing a few bucks at VB now and then. It's keeps them in the game. The more suppliers the better. But like I said about JCWhitney - their parts are "a pig in a poke." Might work - might not.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I completely agree! Rick and Curt have been stable suppliers of quality parts at fair prices for us for years.:)

Also, they know the cars. I can rely on them to give clear answers. Rick had some used parts a few years back that I needed and made them available at more than fair prices. Can't get that from JCW.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
JC Whitney lists several parts Will Fit Sunbeam Alpine, such as a distributor cap with 8 plug leads:D

Yes, of course! You mean you didn't know that some Alpine models came with twin ignition? They learned that from Nash, which of course came out of the super-secret deal that Donald Healey and Lord Rootes forged in the late 50's... Healey became disenchanted after the Nash-Healy project, and wanted to crush the Nash company, which by then had become American Motors. He figured that Rootes had, of all the British firms, the best chance of beating AM on US soil, so he gave Rootes all the secret technology that Nash had shared with him. That's why we also have that little pad in the centre of the steering wheel... that was very top-secret stuff at the time!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1930-1934-nash-twin-ignition-eight.htm

;)

lemansvk

Donation Time
Of course, a distributor cap with 8 plug leads could be correct for the Sunbeam Alpine 260 - the name under which the Tiger was sold in Europe:D