• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Halda, Heuer, and Curta

ceecpa

Donation Time
I have a Halda Tripmeter that I bought in 1966 that I plan to install in our Series 5 - a 1967 model.

I think it should be installed in the glovebox aperture but would enjoy hearing other suggestions.

Thanks

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Doing a bit of classic rallying? I believe they are cable operated. If it is for your navigator/co-driver, the glove box area would be the best. If it is more for you (driver) then you may be able to mount it off the centre of the dash for easy access and reading.

Regards, Robin.

Derek

Donation Time
If you have a copy of the Gold Portfolio around check out pages 101 & 115. (if you don't the set up is monted in front of the cubby) Yes it's a "Tiger" but it is the Monty rally Tiger, you will see a Halda Twinmaster with a Heuer Rallymaster (clock and stopwatch ) on top. I want this set up badly but it's worth more than my SV these days...

Also as these things are mechanical and gear driven, make sure you have the right gear set or it's just a show piece. Tires, wheels, OD and wind seem to make a difference with these things. I don't have any first hand exp. but this looks to be a good start www.haldaman.com

On Time, All The Time

Derek

64beam

Donation Time
I want this set up badly but it's worth more than my SV these days...

Hi Derek,

There have been a few twinmasters on Ebay from time to time, but as you know are very popular. They would be a nice addition to anyone's collection.

Regards, Robin.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The glove box seems like a pretty good location. On the blue rally car which I have the counters are mounted on an aluminum insert.

This car was prepared in 66/67 and ran in the N.E. for a while. The owner was also the regional rally chair for the SCCA - I think. I know he was a fairly high up officer in the region.

Steve

Attachments

• P1100530.jpg
    P1100530.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 29

64beam

Donation Time
The glove box seems like a pretty good location. On the blue rally car which I have the counters are mounted on an aluminum insert.

This car was prepared in 66/67 and ran in the N.E. for a while. The owner was also the regional rally chair for the SCCA - I think. I know he was a fairly high up officer in the region.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Was that his version of a Halda? Are they purely electric counters and how did increment them (some sort of pick up, etc)?

Thanks, Robin.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK Here is the bad question of the day? What are the counters for? If they are for lap counting then why more than one?

Cheers,

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, they were Fitzgerald's (former owner) setup for controlling trip + time.
Sadly I have never sorted through them. I am missing the adapter on the odometer. It must have been a pickup that sent a signal to the setup.

Notice there's a label for time? Clearly this system accounted for distance (miles) and I am not sure how it controlled timing (the goal is to cover the prescribed distance in a specific period of time at through speed controls)

I have never really participated in a Time-Speed-Distance (TSD) rally. They were very popular in the 60's. In fact, I am pretty sure rallying was as large as road racing as activities within the SCCA. The old "SCCA wheel" magazine always had a few pages covering rally events.

Basically, you are given a route with directions and speed that should be maintained. As you arrive at check points your time is recorded and you need to be as close to the actual time it would take to cover "X" miles in "Y time".

STeve

64beam

Donation Time
He obviously had the counters working well and with the correct ratio. He probably used one counter to trigger the next so that they are working like a timer. Quite an ingenious setup.

ceecpa

Donation Time

Steve

These appear to be Stevens Rally Indicators, driven by a switch mounted behind the speedometer. Nice stuff. Thanks for the picture.