• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New to Alpines and in need of a clutch

altered

Donation Time
I've got room but no engine hoist. It's already up on jack stands and really don't want to get into "mission creep" at this point. So I think I'll get under there and just pull the tranny.

altered

Donation Time
Well, This has gone a little sideways. I pulled the tranny and the release bearing is non existent and the pressure plate has some of the "teeth" broken. I spoke with Rick at SS and he doesn't have the parts, neither does Classic.
Should I be looking at the early 8.5" clutch setup? He has those parts if I can find a flywheel. He gave me a number of someone who may have a flywheel, I want some opinions on what I should do.

Trevor.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Trevor,
Am I reading right that you are in BC? There are several forum members in the Vancouver area and you may be able to source a flywheel locally.

altered

Donation Time
Yeah, I'm in the Vancouver area. New to this Sunbeam thing though so I haven't looked around to see who's local to me. I may have found a flywheel locally, we'll see if it comes through. Any thoughts on the change to the flywheel?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yeah, I'm in the Vancouver area. New to this Sunbeam thing though so I haven't looked around to see who's local to me. I may have found a flywheel locally, we'll see if it comes through. Any thoughts on the change to the flywheel?

Depending on the clutch in your car now, you will likely also have to change the clutch pedestal as well. There were two different pedestal heights.

Also the early clutches were 8 inches, not 8.5.

Rick sells the 8.5 discs becuase they will fit the gargantuan SII and SIII clutches with coil springs (non diaphragm clutches).

AlsPine

Donation Time
If I read your post correctly, you are planing to convert to an early clutch system with spring type of pressure plate because you can't find a diaphragm pressure plate?
I am not sure if the early flywheel has the same balance as the 1725. Perhaps someone here on this forum knows for sure. If you have a local machine shop that does engine balancing, they can compare the balance between the two flywheels.
Pat King out in California sells used Alpine parts. He can be reached at 1-408-559-1772. He should have a diaphragm pressure plate, or everything you need to convert to an early setup.
If I were you, I would just find another diaphragm pressure plate. Nothing wrong with that setup for a stock driver.
Don't forget that the throwout bearing lever pedestal is a different height for the early pressure plate setup.

AlsPine

Donation Time
When you say that the throwout bearing was non existent, do you mean that the bearing was missing and just the "arms" of the lever was pressing on the clutch pressure plate?
No pieces of the bearing in the bottom of the bell housing?

altered

Donation Time
Well there wasn't much left of the bearing other than what looks like the backing that the bearing "bushing" is attached to. Rick mentioned the 8.5" clutch. The throwout bearing isn't available either for the SV either. I'm just trying to find something that will get thing on the road.

AlsPine

Donation Time
There is an outfit called Volvo guys that sells on Ebay. They have a large inventory of parts. I'll see if I can find them and pass on their contact info. I'll bet that they can help.
In the mean time, give Pat King a call, I'm sure that he could help.
Seems strange to me that the guy that you bought this from said that it had 12k miles sense rebuild. I think that he wasn't very accurate in his statement.
When he sold it to you, did he tell you that it had this problem?

altered

Donation Time
I was thinking the same thing. He said the clutch probably needed bleeding. The price was right so I didn't question him too much on it.

I will contact Pat.

I will also see if I can find Volvo guys.

Trevor

RootesRooter

Donation Time
A search of the SAOCA archives turned up this informative post for those considering whether to switch to the earlier clutch setup:

"I believe the MGB pressure plate only works with the earlier (1600) flywheel and the Volvo 140 disk. And according to Jim E, the Volvo 140 pressure plate will also mate to that 1600 flywheel, but you need to use a roller throwout, not carbon.

Check this thread for more info:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=7621

And from another thread, RootesRacer noted:

Quote:
The 8 1/2 inch volvo disc is compatible with the SII-SIII 8 inch clutch cover, and will yield more friction area, and is the best clutch as far as off the shelf parts go.

To keep the SV setup, you can scrounge around here for anyone that has one, or eBay, of course... or consider having the existing pressure plate rebuilt. One possible option for that is:

http://www.autofriction.com/

1967 Sunbeam Alpine Series V (B395015623 / SAL 613827)
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Traveller
1949 Triumph Renown ............................"

AlsPine

Donation Time
---->The previous post link worked after all, just didn't display all of it so just click on it.<-----

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Trevor, try speedy spares in the U.K, they have everything needed to get back on the road with the stock SV clutch set up. The service is excellent and the parts prices and shipping to the U.S. are very reasonable.

http://www.speedyspares.co.uk/n1stpage.htm

http://www.speedyspares.co.uk/ROOTES/ALPINE/alpine reportPage3.html

I upgraded my Alpine Series V 7.5" clutch to 8.5" by using a HD fastback Rapier/Alpine/Hillman Hunter flywheel (same as the early Alpine flywheel), MGB pressure plate, Volvo friction plate and an Alpine SII (same as HD Fastback/Hunter) throw out bearing. I also had to swap out the clutch fork for one from an early Alpine (SII I think). It works great and all the parts (except for the flywheel and fork) are easily available new.

Stuart

65beam

Donation Time
alpines

one thing you'll find with the fastbacks is that many sold here in the states did not have the bigger clutch. all of mine are the same as the late series 5 alpines. 7 1/2 inch X 1 1/8 X 25 spline with the same flywheel as the series 5. there are some 7 1/2 clutches being sold that have a 1 inch spline instead of the 1 1/8 inch. i have several of them if anyone wants to buy them. they came from speedy spares. i have had this conversation about clutches with matt @ europarts again this week. so be carefull with what you order. it seems no one knows where the possible change was made on these. were uk spec cars different or was it just the H120 that had the larger clutch?

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
The late 60's/70's Rapier H120, Hunter GLS, Commer vans/lorries and possibly the Hunter GT came standard in th U.K. with the 'heavy duty' 8.5" clutch. The HD clutch was a factory option on all (as far as I'm aware) 'Arrow' series cars with the 1725cc motor. However, the HD clutch was fitted as standard on Alpines/Rapiers/Hunters for some specific export markets. Years ago I had a 71 Rapier with the HD clutch option (and a factory/dealer fit towbar too).

The HD flywheel looks very similar if not identical to that fitted to the SII/III Alpines, the carbon thrust bearing is the same too. The friction disc is not, it's the 25 spline type. To uprate the clutch on my SIV/V I used the bigger flywheel and thrust bearing, a Volvo 8.5" disc and an MGB pressure plate/cover (only because it was cheaper than an H120 item).

Here's a link to a good deal on an 8.5" HD clutch kit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HILLMAN-HUNTE...5034909QQihZ016QQcategoryZ31353QQcmdZViewItem

And not such a good deal on a 7.5" kit (25 spline):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLUTCH-KIT-SU...1210538QQihZ005QQcategoryZ36090QQcmdZViewItem

(no affiliation with the seller)

65beam

Donation Time
clutch

H one- twenty,
we're getting a little off the original thread, but all uk and north america alpine,rapiers, arrows and hunters built for the uk and north america from 1967 on are listed as having the 7 1/2 inch clutch. the same with the literature that i have for other countries . the only exception being the holbay equipped cars. they used the 8 1/2 inch. the latest literature and parts books that i have are 1974. none of the option lists show the 8 1/2 being offered. i suppose you could have gone to the dealer and bought the unit and have them change it out. i have the same question that others have. would the balance of the engine be affected if you change to the series 1 flywheel?

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
I haven't got details of the HD clutch option to hand, but I'll dig around in my boxes and try to find it. As for the flywheel, I've not compared an early flywheel and one from an H120 side by side, so can't comment if they are exactly the same or not. However, I have fitted the larger H120 flywheel and clutch to my SV motor without any issues.

altered

Donation Time
It looks like I have tracked down all the parts to stay with the SV setup. Thanks for all of your replies. I hope to get this up and running fairly soon and then move on to the next inevitable needed fix.

Trevor.