• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by zack

1. Z

For Sale: 1965 Sunbeam Alpine, Series 4

For Sale: 1965 Sunbeam Alpine, Series 4 Solid body, 42,000 original miles. New break lines and rear pads/cyclinders. Trunk is full of spare parts. Also has the under-dash radio holder and an original Roots service manual. Engine needs a rebuild; has low oil pressure when hot. Starts...
  2. Z

Oil Pressure Regulator Questions

I did a few iterations and then made one. Tested it and it worked well. Unfortunately, it seems driving home on zero oil pressure killed the bearings because once it is hot oil pressure is almost nothing even if it is tightened down so much that it is basically just a plug...but that's a story...
  3. Z

I looked at my design a few times and having a larger head would make it a stronger part that is less likely to leak, especially with that adjuster screw. However, that thickness doesn't necessarily have to be coming out of the cap...it could be going into the body. For the adjustment, you...
  4. Z

I received the later model housing and dead valve yesterday. After measuring it, I designed a new valve for this design. This was much easier than the original design. The screengrabs don't show it very well, but the whole tube would have outside threads of 5/8-24; it threads into the cap as...
  5. Z

I completed the drawings for the thin model units (stock, not modified), with all parts including the two tube versions and spring information. Now it's just a matter of getting it onto the site; the DWG in a zip file is 180K which is larger than the maximum attachment size. I also exported a...
  6. Z

No problem. 65Beam just messaged me that he is throwing in a disassembled valve that I can work with.
  7. Z

Maybe I can save some shipping. The main thing I need is the thread type; the pitch, the outer diameter of the threads, and the inner diameter of the threads. You probably have a thread pitch gauge, the OD can be gotten using calipers. The depth of the thread can be gotten using a razor blade...
  8. Z

Sounds good. I can calculate the K from those numbers and just give a minimum maximum load before buckle number. I designed the stock square port in solidworks in about 5 minutes...now to make drawings; that will probably take a couple hours that I don't have right now so I'll do it another...
  9. Z

Unfortunately, I know little about what the spring originally was (maximum travel before buckle and k rate can't be gotten from a failed 50 year old spring). But I'll toss in what I have. Talking to speedy, they don't expect to get any more regulators at any point in the future; they are not...
  10. Z

Nice! I might have to model that up and post some proper blueprints so when some random guy is pulling his hair out in 20 years he can take them to a machinist. [edit] Spoke to Speedy again and now they don't have the valves...lovely. So I guess now I am making a newer style valve once the...
  11. Z

I'll take you up on that...and before I install it I'll set it down next to the original and see if they can be converted easily. I guess my current plan is to get a newer (larger) style filter base and a newer (larger) style valve from speedy. I may continue the design project so it is...
  12. Z

I'm pretty sure that the scratches caused by the non-chamfered design are most of the reason grit can stick in the first place. Of course there is still an edge with a chamfer so the final might be radiused...with modern CNC lathes is is just a matter of replacing a couple of G1 commands with a...
  13. Z

OK...so if I get this right...they started with two .25 diam holes for a total dump area of .098175 in^2. Then they went to two square .25 holes for a total dump area of 0.125 in^2. Then they went to two .316 diam holes for a total dump area of 0.156853 in^2. I am assuming that throughout...
  14. Z

Carb cleaner would probably do the job. A few people have reported such things on new builds, it may be that some common part is shipped with a coating that is meant to be cleaned off before assembly? Unfortunately, cleaning these is only a band-aid. You don't get this on a 50-year old chevy...
  15. Z

Ken sent me some images this morning...it appears that the square port valve actually was made by Sunbeam because he has one too...out of a '67. I guess we discovered a bit of history then! He believes the square ports were to make a more linear progression, I'd say this is logical. It also...