• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by William Lewis

1. William Lewis

Clutch not completely releasing - master and slave cylinder sizes?

To answer questions: My clutch lines are all steel and no rubber. At first, I had the slave on the engine side of the bell housing. Swapped it to the tranny side. Didn't help. I sure hope it is not thrust bearings. I doubt it as I rebuilt the motor only a few thousand miles ago and my...
  2. William Lewis

Peter's explanation makes sense to me. I suspected something like that. Any cure other than pulling it all apart and replacing the pressure plate? To answer others' questions, I have rebuilt the master and installed a new clutch slave. Bled the system well. If I had air, I would be getting...
  3. William Lewis

Slave is on the tranny side of the bell housing. It will shift into 3rd and 4th, but it is difficult. Even into 2nd when first starting up but then gets harder as it warms up. It shifts easier when I let up on the clutch pedal a little and the grinding whirring noise goes away. I think the...
  4. William Lewis

Bob, the puzzling thing is everything worked great before I changed the Series 2 gearbox for a Series 5. I think I am getting too much throw in the clutch and I can back off on the slave rod a little to stop the whirring sound when I push the clutch all the way to the floor, but that won't help...
  5. William Lewis

Bob, have you resolved your issue? I am having a similar but slightly different problem. I have a Series 2 car with Series 5 motor. The Series 2 tranny had a catastrophic failure, so I replace it with a Series 5 box. New pilot bush, clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. All are...
  6. William Lewis

S2 OD Transmission

Sorry, I was not very clear on my post. The D type OD is from a Volvo. A Volvo D type will fit onto the back of a Sunbeam OD tranny. The Volvo unit has a flange on the back, so the Sunbeam drive line shaft was replaced with another drive shaft that will fit. An MGB drive shaft is 1" too long...
  7. William Lewis

Series 1 transmission

Trying to clean out my garage. I have a very early series 1 non-OD transmission from a car registered as a 1959. The tranny was rebuilt 30 years ago and used for 10 years before I pulled it to install an OD tranny. It worked well except that when I decelerated hard in 1st gear it would slide...
  8. William Lewis

Broken Series II tranny for free

This unit found a home.
  9. William Lewis

S2 OD Transmission

John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics rebuilt my unit (from a Volvo, using an MGB driveshaft). It works like a charm. I sourced parts and having John do the rebuild cost me a little bit more that doing it myself, but he can bench test the unit after rebuilding, which I cannot. Since I am older...
  10. William Lewis

Wheel Offset

I'm assuming the wheels that Dayton Wire Wheels sent to me were trued as part of the manufacturing. They are tubeless wires and messing with the spokes will cause them to leak air. The wheels were balanced as part of mounting the tires. I don't have problems with front end shake at speed so I...
  11. William Lewis

Wheel Offset

I recently had Dayton Wire Wheel make up a set of 14" wires for me using the Alpine center hub and a larger rim with the intention of keeping the offset the same. (My 60 year old wires were starting to break and 13" tires are getting harder to find.) I have 185/65 tires on the car, so the...
  12. William Lewis

Broken Series II tranny for free

I have a Series 2 overdrive transmission with the output shaft twisted off near the end of the output. The unit went into service 20 years ago. Not too many miles on it. 3rd gear synchro is a little weak. Anyone need it for parts or have an OD shaft to reinstall in it? Free to anyone who...
  13. William Lewis

Removing my SII Throughout Bearing

The replacement throwout bearing may come with new clips. If not, the clips are readily available. I know...I just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago.
  14. William Lewis

Steering Box Lubricant (Again)

My steering box leaked, so I filled it with grease. It has been 30 years and no problems...and no leaks.
  15. William Lewis

Over Drive Transmission Interchangeability

I have a series II OD gearbox to which I had mated a Volvo P1800 overdrive. I had to change the prop shaft to an MBG unit and shorten the prop shaft a little. That worked OK for 20 years, but the transmission output shaft had a slight twist to it when I installed it and about 2 months ago it...