• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by wile coyote

1. wile coyote

mismatched hardtop

I have a S5 and have come upon a hardtop from a S1 or S2. Is there a way to use it on an S5? Would cutting new side window glasses to fit the opening work? Is the shape of the top of the windshield the same and the 2 cars? I am not necessarily concerned about the fact that it would not be...
  2. wile coyote

SV engine and transmission for sale

Just got another one online from southwestern motor transport needing a lift at both here and there for $350.
  3. wile coyote

Shipping quote is $564 on southeastern.
  4. wile coyote

Still have the engine / transmission for sale. How about $200 plus shipping. I’ll put it on a pallet and head it your way. Hate to send it to the scrapyard.
  5. wile coyote

Alpine ring gear bolts.

Got them at Starr Sales. Brownwood, TX
  6. wile coyote

Alpine ring gear bolts.

Bolts located. 3/8x 1.5" nf grade 8 by a local supplier had 1/4" shoulder vs another supplier whose bolts had a 3/8 or 1/2" shoulder. Took the previous and cut them to size.
  7. wile coyote

Will an alpine rear end work if not a SV?

As long as I've had this car, everything is always been a later model series 5. Only now, while redoing the rear end, do I believe the rear end is not a series 5. In replacing the outside axle bearings, the bearings I bought for a series 5 are for a slightly larger axle shaft. The bearings with...
  8. wile coyote

Alpine ring gear bolts.

The bolt is 11/16” long. 1/4” shoulder. I’ve worked with aviation hardware a good bit. AN6-5 should work for size, but the tensile strength is not quite as high as Grade 8. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.
  9. wile coyote

Alpine ring gear bolts.

The V6 is running great. loads of fun. decided to redo the rear end, mainly due to leaking seals. The ring gear/pinion look fine, but the original 8 ring gear bolts were getting ready to give it up. 2 were broken off in the ring gear and the other 6 were slightly loose. the loose ones had...
  10. wile coyote

T5 transmission question

I've seen several recommendations here to get an aftermarket shifter for the T5 due to concerns of overshifting. I have a T5 from a 95 mustang. Shifts OK, but I have noticed a faint grinding occasionally. Once the transmission is warm, I can feel the grind in the gearshift, and even slightly...
  11. wile coyote

Oil pump tech tip

Just came across this in the manual I got with the car from Jake Marshall in Hanford CA in 1990. He gave me a handful of old newsletters. Someone mentioned low oil pressure on a recent post and thought I would post a picture. Remember when newsletters came in the mailbox...
  12. wile coyote

Not sure about a bugaboo, but it has been running since 1985 with no overheating problems. That includes freeway driving and stop and go traffic in the middle of summer in San Antonio. I went through the manual for the 1725 engine and there is no mention of any attachment of any cooling hoses...
  13. wile coyote

I have the original 1725 from my 67 SV that I removed for the V6 project. It was rebuilt in 1984. A retired machined from Pirelli tire who was living in Hanford CA rebuilt it and did a great job but never drove it much. I bought it in 1990 and put 20000 miles on it over the next 15 years...
  14. wile coyote

carburetor switch

Been off for a while. I must back up and eat my words. The Weber 457 kit did not run as well as it could out of the box. As a matter of fact, it didn't have the jets or air correctors it was supposed to have "out of the box". I have done some tuning, including resetting the float and have it...