• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by snamelc

1. snamelc

Cantrails

You're right about Series II being different. It uses a twist clip on the front bow and spring clips above the B post to clip to the top frame, then flaps on the top are snapped to the cantrail. Very simple compared to III-V and has never given me any trouble. Really makes you wonder why they...
  2. snamelc

Generator vs Alternator

Just remember to give that rear bearing a shot of oil while you have the generator out! So hard to do when it's in the car, we tend to forget it. Bill
  3. snamelc

Engine--Cylinders #3&4 Not Contributing

Check compression in 3 and 4. A quick and easy test and can eliminate just one more possibility. A blown head gasket between these two cylinders will cause exactly what your are experiencing. Ask me how I know! Bill
  4. snamelc

1961 Values

Try Hagerty's WEB site for evaluation. I've found it to be fairly accurate but you have to be brutally honest about condition. Bill
  5. snamelc

Timing chain tensioner

I'm putting an aluminum billet timing chain cover with seal on my Series II. My mechanic is replacing the chain tensioner and he says the one Rick sent is all rubber with the steel leaf spring in the center such that the chain runs against the rubber. It's been so long since I've had a timing...
  6. snamelc

Brake fluid

My original Series II I purchased in 1961 had DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid. It was purple as opposed to the clear DOT 3. All DOT 5 fluid I have purchased since has been purple, so I suspect that if you place a bit of your fluid in a clear bottle and it is purple, it is DOT 5. My current...
  7. snamelc

Paint - Finally.

Wedgewood blue?
  8. snamelc

Timing Chain Cover

I'm getting ready to pull the engine and transmission from my Series II and would like to take this opportunity to install the new aluminum timing chain cover with the oil seal. Before I do this, I'd like to hear from others about the acceptance of this conversion. Also, I can't tell from the...
  9. snamelc

Brake fluid

Jim: My Series II had silicone brake fluid in it when I bought it new in 1961. DOT 5 is purple, so check your existing fluid and if it is purple, it's DOT 5 (silicone). I am using DOT 5 in both my brakes and clutch in my current Series II and have had no problems with it. Bill
  10. snamelc

intake manifold drain nut?

I have a Series II Alpine also and when the engine began running rough, I discovered the intake manifold drain tube was missing. It had broken off, apparently from vibration. I solved the problem by plugging it off, my thinking being that few if any other LBCs have this fitment so why is it...
  11. snamelc

Upper steering column bearings?

My Series II just had a felt ring for a bearing. I guess that should tell you how long they expected us to drive these cars! Anyhow, I had a sheet of polyethylene lying around (Teflon may have been better) so I made a bearing out of that, dimensioned such that it pressed into the column and...
  12. snamelc

Fuel Tank Sending Unit

I used a braided copper wire from an old distributor to make a solid ground. I drilled and tapped for a #6-32 screw into the housing on one end and clamped the other to the float arm. This way, I'll never have to worry about getting ground through the pivot. My gas gage now indicates rock...
  13. snamelc

Gas gage sending unit

Charlie: I think I'll give solder a shot... I have some 60/40 and some good flux. Also, I'll make the joint as close to the pivot as I can. (First, some practice joints!) Paul: I think I'll stick with the by-pass wire... cheap and I don't like relying on passing current through a rotating...
  14. snamelc

Gas gage sending unit

Tom: Just to test the method, I used a small single strand wire that I wound into a coil for flexibility. For one end I drilled and tapped a hole in the cast housing to accept a 6-32 screw and the other, I clamped to the float rod since you can't solder to steel. I'm thinking that before I...
  15. snamelc

Gas gage sending unit

The gas gage in my '62 Series II Alpine jumps all over the place and is not reliable. Apparently the sending unit circuit relies on the pivot shaft that the float is hooked to for ground. I have no idea what (if any) method the designers used to ensure that this makes a good ground but right...