• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by smashbeat

1. smashbeat

Gearbox removal got stuck

I had it rebuilt from a shop in San Diego. I had to ship the parts from Oregon. I was very happy with the result and customer service. I can give you the business info if you want
  2. smashbeat

I considered that way with Rick. It's more than the pistons. Oil pan and more is involved. I ve ended up rebuilding the engine and I am very happy with the result. Besides being matching numbers it was a lot of fun and runs really nice
  3. smashbeat

My chest the transmission is really lightweight. At least without overdrive
  4. smashbeat

It gave me more room. It was easy once I figured it out. I then put engine and transmission all together with the stands on the rear wheels (decided to remove the engine for a full rebuild)
  5. smashbeat

Timing chain tensioner

I’m installing a billet cover too. Is the oil thrower needed anymore?
  6. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

Last time I checked they were both out. Meanwhile I checked and cleaned the timing chain oil feed and put the powder coated timing side flange New gasket and permatex. I went a bit ocd with bolts cleaning, but that's the side effect of owning a vapor blaster
  7. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

After a bit of soaking the engine turns a bit better. Feels tight still. But I double checked everything rotating part, gaps, bearings... Will see when I start it if it does kaboom antld and I threw away 3k. Nothing against fabricating the camshaft washer out of mild steel?
  8. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

Alright, let's see if I can fix the dry issue. Meanwhile I disassembled one piston, double cheched the piaton/cylinder clearance without rings and it feels right. I checked the gap of the oil ring assembly and seems fine as well.
  9. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

Turning it by hand a few Revolutions left marks on the cylinders. Normal?
  10. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

I used assembly lube so far everywhere except cylinders. Pistons were soaked in engine oil before to install the. No matter how much oil you put in the cylinders the oil ring will clean it up and dump it underneath
  11. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

I gapped first and second ring. I did not gap the 2 rings that form the oil scraper assembly, as I read that is usually not necessary. I took my time to assemble them properly and assured that the rings were not wedging the control springy ring. I put new main bearings, trued the front bearing...
  12. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

A question about the oil scraper. It is made of 3 parts: the oil control ring and 2 rings. I guess the 2 rings go top and bottom of the springy scraper. But the oil control ring is too long. It goes over itself about 5mm. I guess it needs to be trimmed but how much? Should I leave a gap? What's...
  13. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

BTW, I didn't post a picture or update in a while. Here is the block back from the engine shop. I painted it with Hirsch enamel and primer. I know they didn't come in red, but I like it!
  14. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

Where do you get those aluminum pans? They look really nice
  15. smashbeat

Engine rebuild

Little question. I sent some engine parts to get powder coated and I specifically asked to not blast or paint the inside of the oil pan. Unfortunately they blasted the inside. I rinsed a few times and more with soapy water, rubber malled a bit here and there to have sand detaching, compressed...