• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by scotdunc

1. S

Cold starting

Not sure if this is the appropriate section to post this in .... but here goes. I had been suffering realy hard cold starting on my SV. I had the carbs off twice to inspect/adjust etc .... properly sealed the manifold to head (so no air leaks). All seemed fine ... BUT, it was still a real pig to...
  2. S

ammeter to voltmeter issues

errr .... I just swapped the voltmeter power wire from the 4th terminal to the acc terminal. Now no more power loss. Sometimes its better to sit down and actually look at the wiring diagram!!! Toot toot all
  3. S

I realised that there was a debate about the virtues of ammeters over voltmeters and vis versa, but I changed because it reduces the risk of electrical mishaps, i.e. shorts and/or fires behind the dash due to the heavy duty wiring needed for the ammeter. Secondly regards my voltmeter...
  4. S

Hi all, quick question on voltmeters. As my SV runs a modern alternater, I changed the ammeter to a voltmeter .... So now I find that my battery runs down somewhat quicker than it used to! I have it wired to the 4th (spare) terminal on the ignition switch and earth (is this how others have...
  5. S

Battery 'positive' cable

Thanks for your input guys. It seems incredible that you need 10' of cable, not that Im doubting it. I think I'll have a go at 'releasing' a bit of slack at the battery box, maybe by bypassing the last body clip. Toot toot all
  6. S

Battery 'positive' cable

Hello all, Whilst doing a bit of maintenance .... I noticed alot of the dreaded 'green' gunk around the battery terminal and end of the cable. So I thought I'd cut it back a couple of inches and re-fit. However, I dont seem to have enough slack to bring the cable further into the battery box...
  7. S

Need Help...lost wipers, temp gauge, and fuel gauge

I had this very same problem not so long ago. Blown fuse was the cause, but the underlying problem was the voltage regulator (instruments), which must have been 'on its last legs'. Replacement, and correction of PO's "interesting" wiring efforts brought everything back to life. Hope you get it...
  8. S

Stromberg air valve springs

Cheers Dan, I also had a 'spare' strom, but I wasn't sure which length was correct as one set I have, have just under 4" and the other set have 4 1/4" .... so I'll go with the 4 1/4" pair. Toot toot all
  9. S

Stromberg air valve springs

Hi all, Can anyone tell me what the 'open' air valve return spring length is on CD150's? Toot toot all
  10. S

'67 SV Tach Wiring

Cheers Tom, I'll get the tin snips out and get something together. Dan replied your message, but Im in the UK! By the way, is there a way to test a tacho .... while its off the car? Toot toot all
  11. S

'67 SV Tach Wiring

This thread came at an opportune moment, as apart from sorting my O/D wiring (Many thanks Tom, works a treat now). The only other thing thats never worked on my SV is the tacho ... so prompted by this thread, I thought I would have a closer look at my wiring, and all seems to be hooked up...
  12. S

O/D gearbox switch

Cheers Tom, your help has been invaluable lately. Im pretty sure Im looking at the correct switch. UK RHD - reverse switch on lhs of transmission, and O/D switch on rhs !!!
  13. S

O/D gearbox switch

Hi all, Just been sorting out the overdrive harness in my SV. However, can anyone tell me if the gearbox O/D switch needs it's two wires connected in any particular order!!! I'm sure it has terminal numbers on it, but in situ its hard to tell, and I dont want to disturb it by removing it if...