• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by RootesRich

1. RootesRich

Weber 32 DGR stalls

Dick, I'd start by pulling the idle jets and see what's installed. Based on experience, the primary idle will need to be in the 60-70 range. The idle jets are the easiest to check as they screw in from the outside.
  2. RootesRich

looking for top help

Where as the majority of the frame was installed (I was mistaken on that part), the front bow and center webbing was not when I saw pics of the car. As was a few other bits on the frame like the velcro strips on the arms. Alex had just documented our preproduction SV's top as an example when you...
  3. RootesRich

Valve adjusting

Go to YouTube and do a search for Sunbeam Alpine Valve Adjustment. There you'll see Jim Ellis' Tech Talk on lashing the valve during one of the Invasions. Once you see the video, figuring out how the valves are fully open becomes much easier.
  4. RootesRich

looking for top help

Tom beat me to it, but IIRC when your car was at Alex's the frame was in pieces and obviously not installed. This is the issue, not the installation of the soft top on the frame. I would take the diagram of the frame from the Parts Manual to your upholsterer so he can see how it goes together.
  5. RootesRich

best options for overdrive?

Any contact info of those in the US that can build OD's? Just saying one knows or has heard of someone being able to do this doesn't help the US Sunbeam community much.
  6. RootesRich

Gas tank cleaning

Please do not do this. Any residual gas fumes in the tanks could ignite even if the dryer was set on the "cool" setting.
  7. RootesRich

My Factory Original SIV Colour Code 70

You may very well have the one and only special order color code 70. Like I stated previously, special order colors in general were very rare. Factoring in the rarity of a special order, plus the odds of the same special order color being selected from the entire Rootes catalog (which had many...
  8. RootesRich

Any news from Colorado?

Did they post any pics of the Alpines on CAT? :rolleyes:
  9. RootesRich

My Factory Original SIV Colour Code 70

Dan, I don't recall the original discussion, so I can't comment on what was stated. However, 70 was obviously a special order and thus, not a standard (Factory) Alpine color. With that in mind, ANY Rootes color outside the standard Alpine colors could be special ordered if the customer was...
  10. RootesRich

Any news from Colorado?

Based on attendance from today's show, Alpine numbers are very low (+/-15) in comparison to the Tigers (lost count at 45). However, there is a nice mix of Alpines... stock, personalized and modernized across all the Series. My personal favorite was a local car I'd never seen before, a V6...
  11. RootesRich

Thanks for the info Eric!
  12. RootesRich

I offer the following regarding the OD question having been around OD's since 1974. :) Make sure you buy the OD and tranny together. An OD will NOT bolt to a non OD tranny. If you're serious about a factory OD, I would contact Jeff Howarth and get one of his turnkey kits from him. Not only...
  13. RootesRich

Re-installing the front suspension

Yes, the S3 springs are a bit stiffer than SV springs to compensate for the shorter length.
  14. RootesRich

soft top storage

I believe there is a Youtube video on this, but there are a few ways to stow the top. I have a mohair top so my approach may not entirely work for a vinyl top due to the pliability of the different materials. I release the windshield bow and lay it on the trunk (boot). I then start collapsing...
  15. RootesRich

Sunbeam Alpine For Sale – California Car – The First Owner Kept It For 47 Years!

Nice car, but in my opinion priced a bit high for a SV ST. I hope he gets his asking price though!