• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by moonstone SIV

1. moonstone SIV

Weber Carb from Classic Car Performance

Even when new you would very lucky to get any more than 30 mpg out of an Alpine in normal use, and that would be with the most fuel efficient CD 150 Stromberg combo. I believe your MPG calculations need re calculating...
  2. moonstone SIV

Moonstone

Moonstone in OE form is a very, very, VERY pale blue. Balmoral Grey is quite different and also rare. Seeing it on an actual Alpine/Tiger suggests why few owners ticked that swatch when placing an order....
  3. moonstone SIV

Door rubber gasket - which direction to install?

Jan, The seals can be installed in either the "wrong" or "right" way, it's dependent on the lip that seals against the door aperture. Can you shoot a pic of the molding cross section?
  4. moonstone SIV

Sabertooth Tiger on BaT?!?

And, according to the seller, it features the x frame bracing created by Carroll Shelby to give the unibody strength.... AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH.
  5. moonstone SIV

Another 1725 died the heat death...

And for some time prior to this mechanical inconvenience the temperature and oil pressure gauges were being monitored by.....?
  6. moonstone SIV

CD Stromberg T piece

Thanks Chaps, While I understand their are various ways to substitute the original plastic item, my point was why are suppliers in the US and the UK selling this item that's not fit for purpose? And to clarify, the leak is from the metal pipe fitted to the T piece, not at the carburettor...
  7. moonstone SIV

CD Stromberg T piece

Greetings Sunbeamers, Seeking some feedback on the longevity, or lack thereof of the repro plastic T piece between the carbs on Alpine V and any of the Arrow based variants. I have items here sourced from Sunbeam Specialties and Speedy Spares UK. Given the moulding marks they appear to come...
  8. moonstone SIV

Washer bottles

Thanks Oliver, All good here thanks, we seem to be doing ok in AU compared to some other parts of the globe..... I will purchase some of your suggested ingredients and conduct my own science experiment on some of Mr Tudors finest plastics circa 1964. I knew there was a reason I had been...
  9. moonstone SIV

Washer bottles

You kooky scallywags......ok, back to the original post. Oliver, can you please explain the mixing ratio of the peroxide and the Oxi Boost product...what is that by the way? Can I assume there is some water in there as well? I notice the necks on the bottles before cleaning were still white...
  10. moonstone SIV

warranty book

Thanks Kevin, always interesting to read the possible back story behind our Rootesmobiles. Had a quick look at the link to his photography but there were only a couple of shots of local car shows, one a row of Triumphs, the other MGs. No Sunbeams on the day...? Are we sure it's the same guy...
  11. moonstone SIV

what torque

Bernd, Is it the RPS threaded fulcrum bushes that should be avoided? I know their Metalastik style later fulcrum bushes used to be excellent but more recent stock has been oversize meaning they have to be turned down slightly before being fitted. So much of their stuff has been hit and miss...
  12. moonstone SIV

White walls

Thanks for the tip! You're right, most tyre dressing products leave the surface a greasy mess no matter how much it's buffed after application. How have you found the Goodrich crossplies from a driving point of view? I ran a S3a Minx briefly with ye olde style rubber and even low speed round...
  13. moonstone SIV

what torque

Oliver, Yes, even a few drops of oil on an item will suffice in keeping surface corrosion from forming. The grease sounds very appropriate, after it's first service at the Rootes Dealer it would have ended up smeared in it anyway...!
  14. moonstone SIV

what torque

I'm well aware of the difference between a factory correct restoration and one that includes as much bling as possible...
  15. moonstone SIV

what torque

Oliver, The rubber gaiter in your pic should be fitted higher so that it covers the swivel/fiber washer area to prevent the ingress of...crap. I usually use a section of bicycle inner tube which can be trimmed to a longer length. Not factory correct of course but does a better job than the...