• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by mint 61

1. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Engines running fine, yes the rpms spun up during power loss. Definitely something from the flywheel back.
  2. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Yes, the S2 has the same retainers. I remember the retainer still being on, but being able to loosen 1 bolt with my fingers. I think that bolt would have to be a good ways out to hit the plate, and i think i would have noticed that. I'm stumped. As you can see in the pics the clutch looked fine...
  3. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Negative. Here's a picture.
  4. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Update, we've got it back together and everything works fine! All I can figure that it was that flywheel bolt had backed out enough to keep the clutch disk off the flywheel. I'm rolling again! Thanks for all of your help, this forum is very valuable.
  5. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Interesting. I'll have to check that out, getting it put back together now. I've had a little chatter on the rear drivers side wheel when almost stopped. Figured it was a sticky caliper or something. Thanks for the heads up.
  6. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Don't think that was it, worked perfectly for 350 miles, then pretty suddenly...it didn't.
  7. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Ok, not in backwards, it would hit the flywheel bolts. Just got done reinstalling the gearbox. Everything looks kosher in there.
  8. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Down here looking at it and remembered that when I took it all back apart there was one flywheel bolt that loosened by hand. Wondering if it could have back out enough on its own to create space between that clutch disk and flywheel, explains why it happened relatively suddenly. Also wondering...
  9. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

Sorry I should restate that, new gear ring on the old flywheel. Got the new clutch from Rickk at SS.
  10. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

61 Series 2. Installed a new clutch and flywheel last summer. Worked great for about 350-400 miles. Then a few weeks ago during my 3rd cruise this season, it suddenly started to lose power. Like a clutch slipping. Only made it a 1/4 mile down the street and turned around, barely had enough power...
  11. mint 61

Negative ground Coil Wiring

Looks like I found the problem. Everything works fine when the sensing wire is disconnected from the alternator. The ignition light comes on when it should, and everything works fine as far as I can tell. Guess I don't need that wire?
  12. mint 61

I should also add that the ignition wire at the coil shows no voltage with the key off.
  13. mint 61

UPDATE: I have spark! It's running well. Now on to the next issue. Took it for a couple test drives, when I returned to the house, I noticed the sensing wire had came loose from the alternator. I tightened up the connector and reattached it. Now the issue is the engine doesn't shut off with the...
  14. mint 61

Probably should add it's a 61 Series 2 Alpine.
  15. mint 61

Hi All, It's been a while. So I just went through the process of switching over to negative ground, got rid of generator, went to alternator. I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition a while back. Flamethrower Coil. Switched the ignitor to a negative ground ignitor. Wired everything up, no...