• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by kenny_ii

1. K

Series V shell in Texas

First off, the price is $100.00, obo. I have a Series V shell available. I was going to try and rescue a rotted Tiger, but the Tiger is so far gone, the result would be an Alger, and not TAC approvable, so I've given up on the idea. The shell had the bad floor pans and trunk floor cut out...
  2. K

help with crankshaft damper ring

I am assembling my 1725 and can't figure out where the rubber damper ring goes. It is identified as item 32/1 in the parts guide or item 5 in the Sunbeam Specialties crankshaft picture. It doesn't seem to fit anywhere that makes sense. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tim
  3. K

A new level........

IMHO, the trouble with this train of thought is the books probably don't go with the car when sold. Also, I think there are quite a few non-Tiger people that would buy a detailed reference book in the $50-$75 range. If it hurts the value of a first edition nestegg, too bad. Books should...
  4. K

I *so* want one of these... if I only had a wee bit of cash to spare...

All it needs is a Jose V6 kit... Tim
  5. K

Radiator questions

I would agree doing a head gasket repair on these cars is not that bad. One caveat however is to make sure you check the block deck for warpage. My SV had almost 5 thousand'ths warpage around #4 cylinder, crossing a coolant passage to the cylinder bore no less. A quick skim at the machine...
  6. K

Main bearing bolt washers

The machine shop managed to misplace the washers for the main bearing cap bolts on my SV. Are these special, or would a grade 5 or 8 flat washer be OK? Thanks, Tim
  7. K

gearbox - topoff the oil ??

I use an oil gun for transmissions. A lot less messy and you don't have the find the Escher-esque angle to get it to fill correctly. Tim
  8. K

Anyone bought a car in Canada?

I found what looks like a good project Alpine in Canada, but there seems very little information about what it takes to bring one into the US. Has anyone done that before? Any help is appreciated, Tim
  9. K

Front suspension

As an FYI, WD40 and a lot of other 'Parts Store' brands of penetrating oil are really not very effective at rust or corrosion penetration. I used this when I was an automotive professional a long time ago: http://www.kanolabs.com/ The product is kroil or (areo kroil in spray can form). They...
  10. K

Help with a Tiger ID plate

Thanks for the assist on this. I'm planning on having a look at it this weekend. Hopefully we can come to a deal. Tim
  11. K

Help with a Tiger ID plate

In looking for Alpine parts, I came across a poor worn out Tiger I'm thinking of buying. The ID plate seems odd though. It appears to be a later MK1 (ending in 3127) but the letters are LRO FE. I wasn't expecting a left drive car with a home market identifier. Can anyone help me understand...
  12. K

How do you tell engine size.

I looked at the tech info section and it agrees with the H for Home Market, but that seems odd to have a Home Market and Export at the same time. Maybe the H means hardtop, since I believe the R in my LRX serial means Roadster. Tim
  13. K

Brake Questions

For what it's worth, if the shoes are a reline, the leading / trailing thing may not have been followed. After a lot of years in the parts business, I saw that more than once. Tim
  14. K

Lifters?

Cam lobes and lifters are not actually flat. The lobe on the cam should have a 1-3 thousand'ths taper towards the thrust side of the tappet, while the tappet crown can be as much as 0.050". Lack of rotation can be because these tapers are incorrect or missing, or the lifter is not free enough...
  15. K

Engine Speed variation

If you're pretty sure you've had a rich fuel issue for a while, you might want to change the oil. A lot of that extra fuel has ened up up in the oil, where is shouldn't be. Tim