• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by jumpinjan

1. jumpinjan

Anyone know whose Harrington this is?

It looks like it has the early HLM knee bolsters on the doors Jan
  2. jumpinjan

Door hinge renew

I don't remember the hardness of the drill rod that I used. I bought the drill rod & drill & reamer all from McMaster-Carr. I drill & tap a 6/32 thread for a set-screw at the hinge bottom to lock the pin in place. So, in the future the hinge can be re-lube. If the original pins cannot be remove...
  3. jumpinjan

Door hinge renew

The new holes are a precision sized hole using a drill then reamed to within 0.001" of the diameter. The pin material needs to be precise thats why I use drill rod. Those replacement door pins that they sell in the auto parts store are not precise enough. Also, you need to replace the same...
  4. jumpinjan

Door hinge renew

Most of the pins will NOT come out with heat or whatever. I repair mine using drill rod as the new pin and drill & ream the hole. These are best done on a milling machine with a good machine vice. Jan
  5. jumpinjan

No spark frustration

Hmm, you see a spark across the points? If so, that might be a heavy load the points are seeing. Like a low primary resistance in the coil. What does the coil ohm-out to be? I would check the resistance on the coil's primary to start. Jan
  6. jumpinjan

Front end Alignment

I did the alignment on my Tiger using the affordable alignment tools I bought from Summit. There is NO shop that will touch an old car that uses shims, like the old days (I was told that, so I did it myself) Jan
  7. jumpinjan

Rear Frame Rails

I use Solidworks software anytime I make something from sheetmetal. Jan
  8. jumpinjan

April 5+6 2024- Columbia, SC Invasion.

Very, very nice Alpine. I like the Thistle gray series I color. Jan
  9. jumpinjan

Sunbeam Harrington Le Mans

Thanks for letting us know, Reg. You're in our prayers, I hope things get better. Jan
  10. jumpinjan

HLM project progress...

The early cars also had corrosion, from some rivets(?), at the rocker/fender seams for some reason (One could see 3-4 bumps in that area, and looks like rivet heads). If you noticed, Harrington used a body filler with heavy ladened, metallic powder. It looked like powdered aluminum and was...
  11. jumpinjan

HLM project progress...

NOTE: The windscreen frame needs to be in the car when fitting the top to the body. Make sure there's room so one can get the windscreen in & out. I need to do the same and get working on my Lemans. Jan
  12. jumpinjan

Series V overdrive ready gearbox

Don't try to spin the rear tires with an OD trans! Jan
  13. jumpinjan

Early Harrington LeMans for sale

That's Regg Hahn <pluseight5300@gmail.com>, in Cincinnati. I know Regg and I know the Lemans car that he must be selling. Jan
  14. jumpinjan

Early Harrington LeMans for sale

I'm here in Dayton Ohio. Could you post where its located? And if there's a name & phone number? If it's close, I'll check it out. Thanks Jan
  15. jumpinjan

Alternator replacement recommendations

I use the 15ACR Lucas from the late MGB and no mounting modifications needed so it looks factory stock...like it belongs there!!! You can read my article here: https://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/issue_14.pdf Jan