• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Jay Laifman

1. Brakes to rail 2.png

Brakes to rail 2.png

2. Brakes to Rail.jpeg

Brakes to Rail.jpeg

3. Jay Laifman

Hardtop color?

Not that it matters at this point, but I prefer the matching colors in person. Very sharp looking. In person, I think the black ones kind of look less fancy so to speak. My bigger point is that things in pictures are often not quite what they are in person. In fact, in pictures, I prefer the...
  4. Jay Laifman

Brakes long pedal

FYI, per another post on the board, I think I found the problem. The return spring for the brake master cylinder was just slightly too sort. That allowed the weight of the pedal to depress the master ever so slightly. Now that I found that and stretched the spring to keep the pedal fully...
  5. Jay Laifman

Car pics with 14” wheels

I understand that the car was originally designed for 14" wheels. I have no idea if that is 100% accurate. And I have no idea if the wheel wells were later changed with the 13" wheels used. I assume that the tire ratio would have been generally the same, so that the plan would have been for a...
  6. Jay Laifman

Brake Master Cylinder Return Spring

I had an odd thing going on with my brakes. At unpredictable times, after the car sat for a day or so, when I first got into the car, the pedal would depress a little further than other times. The very next time I'd press the brakes, they'd be fine. And the master was not showing any lost...
  7. Jay Laifman

Front end Alignment

I think Bill is spot on. FWIW, there is a pretty well known alignment shop in LA for Porsches and race cars. I took the WSM with me when I took my Alpine in. The owner looked at it and dismissed it entirely. The results were fantastic. I think a quality shop that truly knows alignment will...
  8. Jay Laifman

Harland Sharp Roller Rocker Arms

Maybe they failed because no one noticed they did not line up, like I first did!
  9. Jay Laifman

Harland Sharp Roller Rocker Arms

Why would they fail on Alpines? I'd think that a long time rocker arm place like Harland Sharp would not have a bad design. Is there something odd or different about Alpine heads that puts different stresses on the rockers? Mine are still fine at this point. Glad to see Dan's link to my...
  10. Jay Laifman

Brakes long pedal

Oohhhh. I misread your points. Going back, it all now makes sense. Thanks.
  11. Jay Laifman

Brakes long pedal

Right. But you said it was a piston problem. So that would be left and right. That's what I"m trying to help explore. Is it a caliper issue or a MC issue?
  12. Jay Laifman

Brakes long pedal

But if he had one piston with a problem in the front, he would get obvious pulling. On the rear, since it is a solid axle, there would not be pulling. Also, you said you did not have a piston fully retract, which blocked fluid return. I think that is also different for front and rear discs...
  13. Jay Laifman

Brakes long pedal

Very strange then that you are getting lock up on front. I would think that whatever is causing that issue from the master would do the same for both circuits. But since they are dual circuits, and you are getting that, and it is both front wheels it sure seems like the MC is the source. But...
  14. Jay Laifman

Brakes long pedal

I assume your MC is a dual circuit MC, right? And no servo. Seems odd that only the fronts would lock up because of the MC. Also seems odd that both sides of the front are locking up - like not a ballooning rubber hose affecting one side. But then that does seem to point to a problem with...
  15. Jay Laifman

$83,500 Alpine on ebay

Wow. Sold for $63k. A shame for the seller who clearly was looking for more than $83k. I totally prefer stock or close to stock cars, and don't care for "creative" modifications. And I don't really care for Tigers that have been overly hot rodded with cheap Ford go fast parts. But, I must...