• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by greenbeam

1. greenbeam

Rapier, Minx convertible B-post buffers being made

Hi all, I posted early last year that I was trying to get B-post buffers made for early Rapier and Minx convertibles. Well, they are now in manufacture! If anyone needs them, shoot me a message with your email and I'll put you in touch with the guy that's made them. Cheers, Paul.
  2. greenbeam

Alpine Horn - are we still getting them?

Hi Greggers, Please dont apologise, we are lucky to have such an arrangement. Just happy to have it continuing. Apparently there is an article in the Feb issue that neatly converts a manual washer pump to electric - keen to see it. Cheers, Paul.
  3. greenbeam

Thanks very much Jim. Much appreciated! Paul.
  4. greenbeam

Hi all, Just wondering if the agreement with the UK club is still in place. There is no December issue of the Horn on this site, and I'm told the first 2024 issue is now out. Cheers, Paul.
  5. greenbeam

NOS Rapier tail-light lenses

Hi all, I have come across some US/Canada-spec NOS tail-light lenses for Series Rapiers. Red brake/tail lenses are part no: 54570335 - USA/Canada late Series 2 and all Series 3 upper brake/turn lens, RED The clear reverse light lenses are part no: 575760 - USA/Canada Series 1 lower lens ***...
  6. greenbeam

Removing rear spring bush in chassis

Thanks Joey, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. The details on the pieces of pipe are very useful. Good tip about using grease on the threaded rod too. Thanks very much for taking the time to describe it all too. Cheers, Paul.
  7. greenbeam

Thanks all, So I think the order is: 1. Thick washer matching OD of the bush with a threaded rod and tube in the boot to pull the bush through. If the threaded rod strips or washer bends: 2. Hole saw or air hammer to drill/knock out the rubber and centre tube, then hacksaw through the outer tube...
  8. greenbeam

Hi all, Is there a tried and proven method to remove the rear spring bush in the chassis on series 3-5 Alpines? I've searched the forums and found the tales of woe, but not seen a good how-to on the topic. Even the ever-helpful Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube only tackles the bushes in the...
  9. greenbeam

1959 Rapier paint color

I found that the paint shop could do pippin red very easily - they scanned it with a spectrometer and the match is spot on - so I suspect it maps to a modern colour - the can says: Lucite L400 Microcar - colour 'Bordeaux' The Moonstone didn't come up with a match on the spectro and it took...
  10. greenbeam

Blanking grommets in battery box?

Thanks Mike, it was 50% curious as to why they'd put so many large holes for road spray to enter, 50% is this original, and 10% is it ok to block them off. (it seems expected that everyone gives 110% nowadays, right? :) ) Cheers, Paul.
  11. greenbeam

Blanking grommets in battery box?

Hi all, The battery box in my Series 3 has five (!) 1" holes, of which I need one for the positive 12v cable. There are two in the base of the box, two on the front face near the top, and one on the side facing the prop shaft where the main power feed cable passes through. That last one has a...
  12. greenbeam

B-post buffers for Rapier, Minx, Gazelle Convertible

Thanks nsbluenose, I'll let you know how we progress. If you know any other owners, please pass this onto them. The more people, the cheaper they'll be! Cheers, Paul.
  13. greenbeam

B-post buffers for Rapier, Minx, Gazelle Convertible

Hi all, I am working on reproducing the buffer at the top of the B-post on Gazelle, Minx and early Rapier convertibles. If anyone is interested in a pair of them, please get in touch - we need a minimum number to proceed. Price will be around US$50 plus shipping (yet to be locked down, will...
  14. greenbeam

Spin-on oil filter base for 1592 engine

Thanks Mike, It's not rusty, it was sitting in a box for about 30 years, so oil has thickened and solidified. I've soaked it in petrol overnight and a lot of the hardened oil has come off. It seems to be opening and closing more smoothly. I think I'll still buy a new one in case this one does...
  15. greenbeam

Spin-on oil filter base for 1592 engine

Hi again, Success! A kind club member has come through with a later type base. Next question, should I replace the steel relief valve (no 'pip' on the head) with one of the new ones available? The one in this base was stuck closed and gummed up when removed, but with a good shove it is now...