• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by GlennB

1. GlennB

HLM on Marketplace

It seems this HLM on FB Marketplace has a Sunbeam Rapier SII VIN - anyone know anything about it? Located in Santa Maria CA https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2073781916306307
  2. GlennB

Harrington Steering Wheel?

There's an HLM for sale in the UK at the moment, the ex-1962 RAC Rally entrant 2EGG at £40K. I'm not sure what happened to the Belgium racing HLM, last time I looked it was unsold at £26K but it has an interesting contemporary international racing history. Both cars are somewhat non-standard...
  3. GlennB

I was at a Harrington day at the London Bus museum at Brooklands, UK some years back. An MGB owner came up to me when I was standing beside Clive Harrington's Le Mans and he said "well that's one design that failed isn't it?" I told him we would have to disagree (I stopped myself saying...
  4. GlennB

https://www.sunbeamalpineowners.club/Harrington/society_features_steering_wheels.html Jan thought that there was a lot of badge engineering going on with steering wheels and this could easily be from the same source but with a different name. He commented that you could easily put a Carlotti...
  5. GlennB

Early Harrington LeMans for sale

Looking in the registry I recall discussing this car (B9104381) with Jerry when we collated all the info recovered from Jan. The best clues are the build dates and also the VIN sequences as Jerry mentions. For info the car B9104381 is listed in the registry as the R&T car and a potential show...
  6. GlennB

Bob Brissenden - in memoriam

Sad to report the passing of Bob Brissenden yesterday at the age of 85 in Valencia, Spain. He retired there from Kent in the UK with his wife Rita at the end of the 1990's. He owned the HLM 177RNK which he restored "his way - like Frank Sinatra" as he used to say, purchasing it around 1990...
  7. GlennB

The race car?

The buyer needs to check the regs for any intended race series. The risk is that it may only be accepted into highly modified categories which may attract even more modified other marques.
  8. GlennB

Water temp gauge

I'm not sure you can buy the old spec sender's now. My SII engine builder put in a later guage to match the new sender when my original failed. Wrong needle colour of course so might not satisfy the purists.
  9. GlennB

Fuel pump repair kit

I can vouch for the fact that a mechanical pump can be marginal and only actually exhibit failure symptoms when other factors are adverse, like temperature and volatility of fuel.
  10. GlennB

536CNW at the Silverstone FISCAR Bentley Drivers Club meet Aug 2023

Just a quick snippet to show you all what normal British weather looks like from a driver perspective. The cornering may look painfully slow but water, oil and historic Dunlops mean one had to pussy-foot your way round. Rain is a great leveller, classified 19th out of 24 including some genuine...
  11. GlennB

'New' Harrington Series C

Today I met Nick Button, the owner of Mick Jaggard's Series C B9119025 462PBJ, at the British Motor Museum Rootes Heritage Day. This car was on the stand at the Birmingham NEC Restoration Show pre-Covid., so around 2018? Nick had spoken to Jan Iggbom but Jan had never entered any details in the...
  12. GlennB

Fitting a new rear screen rubber seal

For info I have just replaced the rubber seal on my HLM. I bought 3m of seal and chrome finisher from Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224831827131 - I also bought a spreader tool: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122535510962 - but this needed to be squeezed to the right width and also opened a bit...
  13. GlennB

Wythall Transport Museum Harrington Gathering 21st May 2023

We made it into the UK National Press, Classic and Sports Car - a nice interview with all the owners. I'll make a better copy if people want. Andrew Yates, Derek Hewitson, Andy Goldsmith, Justin Harrington and myself,
  14. GlennB

536CNW on the track this weekend at Thruxton UK

Yes. Chris sat in the car with me at Curborough a couple of weeks ago and said the engine was strong. Nicely run in now.
  15. GlennB

536CNW on the track this weekend at Thruxton UK

Just a short snippet. There were 4 Aston Martin DB2's, 2 Healey 100/4's, 4 Morgan +4's and 2 Lotus Elites and some other exotics. My HLM was probably the heaviest car on the track and close to the smallest engine - but how sweet it sounded and ran. I averaged 68MPH and know I was close to my...