• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Drnobeam

1. Drnobeam

Head Gasket To Spray or not to spray??

Both sides with copper coat in 1985 at full engine rebuild. Not a problem since.
  2. Drnobeam

Windshield Seals

Thanks guys. Can this technique be used on the earlier frame? I cannot tell you what a bear it was to assemble the frame around the windshield. Happy 4th to all!
  3. Drnobeam

Windshield Seals

Windshield removal How are you guys removing and replacing the windshield from the frame? Are you taking the frame apart or using the rope method? The frame is 4 pieces. When I replaced my windshield and rubber (7 years ago), I assembled the frame around the windshield with the new...
  4. Drnobeam

Please Clear this Up for us.....

Electric Fans Tom, thanks - labor of love with the engine bay. It really is a daily driver. The fans are extremely light weight and are mounted with plastic zip fasteners - the kind that comes stock with most electric fans (Hayden for example). It's a quick and cheap method to mount...
  5. Drnobeam

Electric cooling fans Fans are powered through relays - controlled by a thermostat switch - hot with key "on". In the off position, the fans won't run. Andy
  6. Drnobeam

Here's a picture of two puller fans I installed on the inside. These mount to the left and right of the water pump pulley. I have a pusher that mounts on the front, but these two work so well I removed it. I may put it back on this summer when it gets hot. I have more pictures of the fans...
  7. Drnobeam

need pics of weber linkage for sV

Here's a link to my weber linkage set-up. Ian made this up several years back. I had to modify it to make it fit but it's pretty simple. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2329437100099876592clbALi
  8. Drnobeam

Gear reductions starters for Alpine

I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it. When I bought my S2 in '85 I began buying parts, mostly from SS. I bought many NOS parts like this that were still available at the time. Rick may still have them.
  9. Drnobeam

Gear reductions starters for Alpine

I bought my gear reduction starter from britishstarters.com. It has an adjustable housing that allowed me to position the starter for a perfect fit. So far it has been trouble free. All of the stock wiring can be retained or you can bypass the stock solinoid and switch only the solinoid that...
  10. Drnobeam

New Carbs

I can't help but ask the question: where did you get them? Did you send off your old carbs for a rebuild? Maybe I missed the post. I love the Zenith carbs. They are great performers, just a pain to keep from wearing out and sucking air around the throttle shafts.
  11. Drnobeam

oil leak

John, try to isolate the leak. Clean the area around the balancer pulley, front oil pan area and the motor mount plate. It can be tricky getting the oil pan sealed up around the forward crankshaft bearing retainer & pan gaskets. I use a good sealant (not too much) in this critical area...
  12. Drnobeam

Lic. plate braket

The site was called Ideal Solutions. He made some good parts and I even bought some door anti rattle bushings for my Suburban. The site is gone now. I thought I saw some of his items like the hockey pucks on eBay. I bought the license bracket because I didn't want to drill holes in my newly...
  13. Drnobeam

Aftermarket Alternator Question

Nick, this is a simple build for the cost of a length of ground wire. I demonstrated this to dozens of technicians in more than 30 dealerships in New England when I worked back east as a manufacturers rep. There's no calculations either. You set the meter to millivolts, and the readings/scale...
  14. Drnobeam

Tom's got it. To verify the accuracy, you can compare the voltage drop readings with an inexpensive multimeter set to DC amps. These usually won't check anything over 5 to 10 amps (anything more takes heavier circuitry = $$). If you operate the brake lights, and get a 7 amp reading, the...
  15. Drnobeam

I like to use both a voltmeter and a (DC) ammeter when checking a charging system. A digital voltmeter shows if the battery is being over or under charged. An analog ammeter makes it easier to see the workings of the electrical (load side) and alternator (charging side) of the system. I find...