• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Clark

1. C

Door strike plate

Thanks for the replies, Dan, are the screws something standard? Available in stainless hopefully. I will try to cross hatch the back of the plate to give it a little more tooth. Like the idea of Phillips. my slotted screws are a little beat up
  2. C

Which model overdrive unit is appropriate for a series V

Just finished installing a rebuilt Laycock all synchro overdrive in my series 5. It is like a new car! Easy cruise up to 70 (my max) I find lots of new ways to travel off the freeway and a lot more fun too. Installation took 2 of about 6 hours and was pretty straightforward.
  3. C

Door strike plate

I can't seem to tighten the door strike plate on my Alpine 5 . The doors are about 1/8 inch out of flush. The tightening screws are hard to turn and the plate slides out when the doors are closing. Before I tear into it, are there backing nuts inside the body and are they accessible? Clark
  4. C

Speedometer gear

The gear in the transmission has been stripped on my 66 series V. I can rotate the rear wheels and feel a rubbing on the drive gear which is in good shape. Looking at all the diagrams I can't tell if this internal gear is part of the shaft or is separate from it. Repair procedure anyone? Can...
  5. C

Overdrive

Thinking of putting an overdrive transmission in My series V. Is there any problem fitting an earlier series transmission? I believe they are all non-synchro, or is synchro on some earlier models? Anyone know sources other than ebay?
  6. C

New Engine

Thanks Dan, Checking closely it does not seem like oil, more like water and exhaust carbon. I am a little paranoid as the car smoked and put out oil before the re-build. Ready for another oil change, re-torquing the head and checking the lash!
  7. C

New Engine

Put a new short block in my V. Did all the usual, new guides, valve seals, some new valves, etc. Castrol 10-30, ZDDP. Ran around town,, up and down for 1/2 hour, changed oil and filter. Have since run about 400 miles. Varied driving as I live in a rural area. Car runs like a dream. On start up...
  8. C

Flushing oil

RR and Bill, Thanks for the direction, will just change oil and filter.
  9. C

Flushing oil

Finished installing new short block on my series V and car is running great. Looking at the utube on rebuilding, they used flushing oil after the initial break in. I changed oil after 1/2 hour and now have about 500 miles on her. Is it a good idea flushing before changing to the Rotella T6 I...
  10. C

Tachometer reading too high

Tom, Playing around behind the tach this morning, found the reading which was about double settled down when I took the wires off and re-installed. There must have been a poor connection.
  11. C

Tachometer reading too high

Driving my Alpine V today and tachometer jumped from about 3000 to over 6000. Now reads very high at any RPM, Ideas for fixing? Clark
  12. C

Distributor timing

One more question. My vacuum is 24 inches. To reduce vacuum to 22, do I retard or advance to get there. Car is running great at 24, haven't heard pinging yet. Thanks to all for the answers to my initial question, I have learned a lot! Clark
  13. C

Distributor timing

Steve, Thanks, Sounds like an easy way to time. Just did the the old fashioned way to get going this afternoon, sounds and drives great! Will do it correctly soon and see how close I am. Clark
  14. C

Distributor timing

Just finished installation of a new block in my 66 Alpine and all went well. Set the timing using the light bulb method. Find now I must have done something wrong as the timing is off. Looking for suggestions on how to see the timing marks. Have tried a mirror find it difficult to see what is...
  15. C

Valve lifters

Problem has been solved. After some disassembly discovered Cosmoline in the lifter bores. Cleaned out with WD40, which by the way is a great solvent for Cosmoline. If anyone gets a new short block from Sunbeam Specialties, it would be a good idea to thoroughly clean out lifter bores and test fit...