• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by ChrisR

1. ChrisR

British Invasion, Stowe-Vermont, Sept 11/2021

Guess we will all be staying home as the border closure is extended to Sept 21
  2. ChrisR

British Invasion, Stowe-Vermont, Sept 11/2021

I will be going too if the border opens.
  3. ChrisR

Removing the transmission Sv 4 speed synchro non OD

I agree with rad removal. When I installed an Overdrive trans, the rad was already out. I used the chunk of wood between the valve cover and firewall to stop the engine rotating too much. You need just enough rotation to let the gearbox pull rearwards to disengage from the clutch. I also had the...
  4. ChrisR

Horn Ring Finish (Chrome or Paint)

If I take a picture of my car from the same position, you would not know the difference between the two. (apart from the Dash pad). I imagine if I carefully remove all the remaining paint, there a decent shiny surface underneath?.... or maybe not.
  5. ChrisR

Horn Ring Finish (Chrome or Paint)

Does anybody know how SV Horn Rings were finished when new? The outer ring was chrome. But what about the 2 spokes? Were they originally chromed too or were they painted black? Mine are black but need repainting or maybe re chroming. If painted, was it gloss or matt finish? Seems a bit odd to...
  6. ChrisR

Sunbeam Owners in Canada

There are a few of us in the Montreal region. I have an SV and I know a couple of gents with Alpines (Bernard Rose with his very nice SIII) and at least 3 with Tigers. All drivers. There are also a few in the Ottawa region I am aware of. At least one Tiger in restoration.
  7. ChrisR

Front Wheel Knock

See the picture
  8. ChrisR

Front Wheel Knock

This weekends investigation revealed that the disc is causing the pad to knock against the retaining pins once per rev. I have a pretty good video with the sound but have not worked how to load. The holes in the pads are slots so clearance between the pin and pads cannot be the issue. Pads have...
  9. ChrisR

Front Wheel Knock

I have a very similar issue. Very light tapping/tick sound (not a clunk) that goes away when I just touch the brakes. Cannot feel anything through the steering. Jacked up the front and spun the wheels. Nothing, but that was not straight after a drive. The sound does not start right away, I can...
  10. ChrisR

May Need New Big End Bearings

So here is an update and I think I am generally ok. I was working on two things at once (oil pressure and coolant leak). So while I was running my engine to check mainly the oil pressure, I neglected the fact that due to coolant leak, there was virtually no coolant. you guessed ......... it was...
  11. ChrisR

Not really sure how many miles on the latest rebuild. P.O. said not many. I am guessing no more than 5K. Started the engine yesterday and there was no unusual noises. Oil pressure was over 40 psi at 1200 rpm (assuming Tach is accurate). Then as the oil got warmer I began to hear the tapping...
  12. ChrisR

Don, Steve, I pulled, cleaned and checked the PRV last year and it did not seem to be sticking. I think my oil pressure issue is ok now. But am thinking that I may not have primed sufficiently when I re filled and started (The engine had no oil in it all winter and the oil pump was removed and...
  13. ChrisR

Last year I was only getting about 20psi pressure with warm oil at highway speeds, so I decided to open the pump to see if the rotor to case clearances needed to be restored. I think that the oil pump is fine now. My issue is the new noise. Have not had a chance to isolate the exact source of...
  14. ChrisR

I did the rework defined on the TE/AE site. - smoothing the housing surfaces with fine emery cloth. Was actually in pretty good shape so did not require much work.
  15. ChrisR

I am thinking that I may have to change the big end bearings. Over the winter, I refurbished the oil pump. I reassembled everything, filled with oil, injected oil down the filter supply to aid in priming and cranked the engine over a few times with the spark plugs loose. Then tightened the...