• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by bobbo

1. bobbo

Door hinge renew

Just to update. I used a hack saw today to cut the pin at the 2 thrust washer locations. Actually only cut through at one of the thrust washer locations as the pin was snapped in half at the other. One third of the pin fell out ( top of hinge ) and I proceeded to drill out the other 2 portions...
  2. bobbo

Door hinge renew

Sounds like I'll need to find a machine shop, if not some good hinges. Bob
  3. bobbo

Door hinge renew

Removal of the pin? Is it pressed in? Will heating the hinge allow it to be pressed out? Bob
  4. bobbo

Door hinge renew

Thank you to Dan and Mike. Dan, the thread Mike sent me to had your info on parts to procced with the repair. I should be able to locate bushings and rod locally. Removal of the pin? Is it pressed in? Will heating the hinge allow it to be pressed out? Bob
  5. bobbo

Door hinge renew

For my series V, driver's side. The upper door hinge is sloppy to the point that the door drops about 3/8 inch at the b post. Causing the door paint and b post paint to chip off. I'm looking for info on rebuilding hinges as I can only think this must be an issue with many of our cars. Thanks Bob
  6. bobbo

Front caliper issue

Removed the pistons today. Tried to pry out with a couple of flat screw drivers, but they would not budge. Padded the space between the two pistons and put the air nozzle to the fluid fitting opening. That popped them out for a good clean up with some 1500 wet/dry paper and brake cleaner, mostly...
  7. bobbo

Front caliper issue

Pulled the caliper off again today. Pistons were a little easier to depress with the c-clamp. Re-installed and I can now rotate the wheel by hand, but still snug. I've ordered new flex lines for the front as I felt the old ones were hard to push fluid through, so probably swelling. This will...
  8. bobbo

Front end Alignment

In reply to Bill and ASM, yes hard to tell if front wheels are aligned with the rear. With my steering wheel centered in straight ahead, the Left front wheel seems to be in line, with the Right wheel pointing out away from the front. Until I get the car mobile I can't say if when driving...
  9. bobbo

Front end Alignment

great Hagerty article. Have square tube and welder. new weekend project in the works. Thanks, Bob
  10. bobbo

Front caliper issue

Bleeder , is open and the bleed passage is clear. I'm taking it off again on Friday and will try again with the c-clamp. It seemed to want to push back when I was using the c-clamp before, like it was under pressure.
  11. bobbo

Front caliper issue

Installing new flex lines for the front calipers on my SV. Had the calipers off to clean and check over. All seems good except the right caliper wont relax enough to allow free rotation of the wheel. No fluid in the system now so no hydraulic pressure. Very hard to get the pistons back far...
  12. bobbo

Front end Alignment

Whew! Lots to consider. John, do you have any pic's of your alignment rig in use? Steve, sending a PM. Bob
  13. bobbo

Front end Alignment

Looked at the chapter on alignment in the WSM. Yes very specific. Was hoping to get somewhat close without the procedures noted. I don't expect any shops will have the blocks etc. to perform as well as shims required, but I'll check around. May have to trip down to NY if I can't find a shop...
  14. bobbo

Front end Alignment

With my front calipers off for checking and clean-up I decided to a little checking on the front toe-in toe-out situation. Have noticed the right wheel seemed to have excessive toe -out when steering is in a straight forward position. C clamped 2 angle iron pieces 32 inches long, one to each...
  15. bobbo

Brakes

Thanks fellas for your feed-back on my rear drums. Got back at them today and all is well. Adjustment went easy nothing siezed and Parking brake works also. Now to finish the front disks and flush system completely and refill. Cheers, Bob