• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Armand4

1. Series II in Springtime

Series II in Springtime

I took this picture of my Alpine recently on the shore of Nicasio Lake in Marin County, California.
  2. Armand's Alpine at Alpine

Armand's Alpine at Alpine

My Alpine at Alpine Lake (really) in Marin County, California.
  3. Alpine and MGA

Alpine and MGA

My Alpine alongside a lesser car.
  4. Armand's SII

Armand's SII

This is my '62 Alpine Series II just after I brought it home. It's a little cleaner now, but it's still got that "barn find" look!
  5. A

SII crank stud

Good-- then it's not an actual piece of the crank, and I should be able to remove it. I have the bolt ready to go into the motor, and I'm just holding off because I'm so confused by what I've found. Oddly, the nut I have (the stripped one) has the slots for the starting crank, so I can...
  6. A

SII crank stud

Hey friends, sorry I haven't posted in a while, thanks in advance for any advice... I have a question about the crank in my Series II. The crank pulley was all messed up, so I pulled it off, and when I went to put the new pulley on to the crank, I saw that the nut that holds the pulley to...
  7. A

video rootes

Yup. Chrysler bought the Rootes Group, but sold it (and the rest of its European holdings) to Peugeot during one of its periodic bouts of bankruptcy. Peugeot therefore owns all the Rootes trademarks, and, I believe, its archives. I wonder if Peugeot released this video. The video...
  8. A

Electric fuel pumps

Hey everyone, For the nearly three years I've been driving my Alpine, I've been running the aftermarket electric fuel pump that came with it. It's a Walbro-Dupree "thumper" bellows pump, which has a certain old-fashioned charm but seems to need some sort of repair every month or so. I'm...
  9. A

Vizard or not to Vizard...

"Do you have any recommendations for a machine shop that can do this in the San Francisco area?" I'll leave the question of whether or not to change the combustion chamber to more experienced members, but I can help a little with this one. I live in the North Bay, and have had good...
  10. A

Who owns this???

Those look like Libres to me. They were used on all the BRE racing Datsuns, but I've also seen them on Fiat 124s and Alfas. Original Libres are expensive now, but a company called VTO Wheels is supposedly coming out with a replica. http://www.vtowheels.com/retro4.html
  11. A

Sunbeam vs Renault

I just got back from the Snowball Rally through the Sierra Nevada in California and Nevada. I had my trusty Alpine, and a friend had a Caravelle (Floride.) I think the Caravelle is pretty (not, of course, as pretty as the Alpine) and the driver was really enjoying himself. I've never driven a...
  12. A

Hot Rod 1600s?

My thinking as of now is that I'd like to build a 1592 for my SII rather than putting a 1725 in it. I've got a spare 1725 head, and I figured I'd use it for the slightly bigger valves. I'd also do the Vizard combustion chamber mod and a little smoothing of the ports. Then I'd use custom...
  13. A

Hot Rod 1600s?

Hey everyone, Does anybody bother building high-performance 1592cc Alpine motors, or do you all tend to chuck them in favor of the 1725 if you're going for more power? Is there really that big of a difference, anyway? I realize that there's no substitute for cubic inches, but the 1725...
  14. A

dual carbs or single 32/36

I've got a Crane XR700 electronic ignition module and a 32/36 on my 1592cc Alpine, and I can definitely recommend both of them. For those of us born in the wrong era, not having to learn to deal with ignition points makes the XR700 or Ignitor a no-brainer-- although I've heard old-timers...
  15. A

Dyno testing

THe saga continues... My friend did an article about the dyno party, and the Rootes Group's triumph over MG: http://jalopnik.com/5482064/rootes-group-stomps-british-leyland-in-dyno-challenge-66-horses-at-the-alpines-wheels