• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by alpiner

1. A

Stromberg gushing

While I totally respect the reasons and decision why Sunbeam Alpine enthusiasts install the Weber conversion, I am an advocate for the original twin Stromberg carbs. Maintaining, tuning, and fussing with the CD carbs has kept me smiling on many weekends in the garage. The workshop manual, forum...
  2. A

Clear Inline Fuel Filter (From Mechanical Pump to Carb)

I installed a Mr. Gasket Clearview inline fuel filter (100 micron) in the fuel line just below the "T" connector to the two CD 150 carburetors on my Series V. There are fuel filter replacement elements to change out when needed. Never have had any problems with the filter. FYI, I did have the...
  3. A

Clear Inline Fuel Filter (From Mechanical Pump to Carb)

Not sure why you have heard glass/metal types are absolute poison. Have been using one for years without any issues. Would welcome any incite.
  4. A

Series V Head Gasket Installation

thanks for the input.
  5. A

I just discovered that the only way to get all the holes to line up is with the copper side down facing the block. Sorry about the brain fog. Still curious about using the copper spray,
  6. A

I’m about to install a new head gasket on my Series V. Don’t remember whether the copper surface faces the engine block or the bottom of the head. Can someone give my memory a jolt. Also I am using a copper spray on the gasket and it says to spray both sides of the gasket. Any advise? Alpiner
  7. A

Zenith-Stromberg Throttle Shaft Interconnect Replacement

Very nicely done. That's a win for all of us keeping our classics running. I love having twin Strombergs under the bonnet which require old school techniques for tuning.
  8. A

Zenith-Stromberg Throttle Shaft Interconnect Replacement

This is great news and will be much help in supporting efforts to keep the CD150 carbs working properly. Any thoughts in making the links available for sale? Also, the pins that attach the plastic connectors to the shafts are a challenge. I've used small nuts and bolts as replacements, but have...
  9. A

Oil Leak from Bottom of Bellhousing

Thanks for the input Bob. I too am not anxious to pull the engine and gearbox or drop the gearbox from under the car. I've done it both ways in the past but as an older/wiser person crawling under the car is too hard at my age. lot's of work.
  10. A

Thanks for the advise. I will give it a try.
  11. A

Thanks guys. I do not have an OD. I recently switched the gearbox oil from 90 wt. gear oil to the 5-40 wt.engine oil spec. I had not realized the gearbox took the same oil as the engine. Since the leak did not occur, until I put engine oil in the gearbox, I think I'll switch back to the 90 wt...
  12. A

After taking a drive in my Series V there is a steady oil drip coming from the drain hole in the bottom of the bell housing that bolts the gearbox to the rear of the engine. It stops dripping after a few minutes with the car parked and leaves a 4" round oil spot under the car. I'm thinking this...
  13. A

Walnut Dash Mystery Hole

Thanks. That makes sense because the hole size is the same as the other indicator lights.
  14. A

Walnut Dash Mystery Hole

I just installed a SS walnut dashboard in my SV and am puzzled by the 1/2" hole in the dash just above and to the right of the volt/amp gauge on the left side of the steering wheel. All of the gauges, switches, lights, etc have been installed in their correct locations. Does anyone know what...
  15. A

Sunbeam Specialties Website

Just talked to Rick at SS. He had the same problem with Norton 4 years ago and it took a long time to sort it out. No security issues with the sight.