• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by ALC 68A

1. ALC 68A

Series 3 Colour coded 61 interior...

I'm not so sure about that. My Series 3, built in the third week of June 1963, has the separate thigh squabs and the parts list doesn't show any change in the parts numbers for the seats during Series 3 production.
  2. ALC 68A

66 or 67 alpine parts car

It's pretty rough, but worse Alpines have been restored. In the UK, panels are available to repair virtually all the rot spots. Perhaps not available in the US? Or is it more an issue of lower values and more surviving cars, which means no one can be bothered to restore old dogs like this one?
  3. ALC 68A

Series 3 ST vent hose routing

My Series 3 GT B9203246 with its original engine has the tappet chest cover with the down pointing open vent tube. The oil filler has a rubber breather tube that connects to an inlet on the batwing air filter. There is no flame trap in between, as fitted to the later cars. On an ST with the mesh...
  4. ALC 68A

Alpine Judging Guide

Are those seats correct for a Series 3 GT? I think they should have the separate centre cushion and side bolsters and edge piping to match the vehicle colour. The steering wheel centre boss is also missing. I have a picture of the interior of my car and tried to load it, but the system says it's...
  5. ALC 68A

Alpine or tiger Front Brake LINES ? does anyone sell repo steel or copper front brake lines?

In the UK, the company Automec www.automec.co.uk/ sells brake pipe kits and hoses in RHD and LHD for the various different Alpine series and they will ship to the US. For example: Brake Pipe Set Sunbeam Alpine Series V (LHD) GL5697 Regular price £118.24
  6. ALC 68A

Series 3/IV GT Bonnet (Hood) Insulation

Hello Dan and thanks for the helpful information. I contacted Jeff Howarth, who is on this site and keeps a stock of 2nd hand parts in the UK. He only had two spare clips, which he is sending me, but helpfully found that a company in the UK named Bresco, which sells a wide range of small bits...
  7. ALC 68A

I didn't know there was a forum previous to this one. Do you know where the archives are held and how I access them please? Thanks. Steve
  8. ALC 68A

The Series 3 GT and Series IV GT up to B9404728 were fitted with a black padded cloth noise insulation quilt (part #2223898) inside the bonnet, held in place by a wire grid (#2223890) secured to the bonnet by six clips (#9130077) wedged in the gap between the frame and the underneath of the...
  9. ALC 68A

Alpine Judging Guide

I've just seen that there are some very clear photos of a Series 3 engine bay with Zenith batwing filter assembly, in the Series 3 picture gallery on this website! And it's LHD. They were posted by Alpine_64. Can you use those?
  10. ALC 68A

Alpine Judging Guide

I have the Zenith batwing filter arrangement and will send the photos when I have fitted the rubber air tube. I've never seen an Alpine with the rectangular microelement air filter in the UK and no one in the US has provided one, although the parts list says they were fitted on both Series 3 and...
  11. ALC 68A

Strange steel wheels

I know the owner of this car - it's a UK Series IV automatic and he sometimes comes to our local meetings in it. He bought it and had it restored, but is not too bothered about the detailed accuracy. When he got it, the long slot wheels were already on the car but had Rapier/Alpine GT fastback...
  12. ALC 68A

Alpine Judging Guide

What is your VIN number if you don't mind me asking? The carburettor section of the parts list doesn't give a specific starting VIN number for the changeover from Zeniths to Solexes, but from references elsewhere, it seems to be B9204718 ST and B9203887 GT. However, I'm not sure of this because...
  13. ALC 68A

Alpine Judging Guide

It is listed, but not illustrated on the plates for some reason. It's under Body Fittings, Miscellaneous Trim, Page YV18 "Centre armrest and glovebox". Unhelpfully, there is no part number, as it's listed as "Not Supplied". There are part numbers listed for the screws, locks and hinges and these...
  14. ALC 68A

Alpine Judging Guide

I just need to refit the rubber air tube - at present it has non-original "elephant's trunk" tubing, as I only recently obtained an original rubber one. It came with the correct wire type screw clips, but they are rusty and need buffing up before I can fit the tube. I'll send you the pictures...
  15. ALC 68A

Crossover Pipes Advice

I had problems with leaks in the crossover pipes after they were installed in the newly restored car. New rubbers initially seemed to work, but the leaks recurred. The cause was eventually tracked down to corrosion of the pipes themselves. Two of them had pinholes rusted through from the inside...