• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

6C5FECC1-F283-4767-A335-60EE92F70574
Bobbytriumph

6C5FECC1-F283-4767-A335-60EE92F70574

Reactions: SierraNev
Hello Bobby,

This color looks set to transform the appearance of the Harrington Le Mans, taking it to an entirely different level of style, particularly when compared with the ubiquitous Carnival Red iterations of the Le Mans cars.

I look forward to progress photographs as this car approaches completion.

Did you have the top off? and if so, are you happy with the solution you chose for the adhesion of the top to the rear wings?

Very Nicely Done!

Cheers,

David / Fin Fan

Thank you and yes, I felt since there seem to be no build records that indicate original colors, I would go with another Sunbeam shade ( my painter has the code but I forget what it is called). The top was absolutely off as significant body work and donor panels had to be achieved . It was reattached the same way it appeared to be done originally, at the fold of the panels in the rear, and of course the head rail fasteners. I think the windshield created most of the stability as I will have to go back and do some slight stress cracks at the A posts but that will all be easy touch up. I suspect refitting the windscreen may cause some stress as well. I have never restored a car where I have never even seen a complete example, let alone driven one or had opportunities to photograph one. It should go well and people from this group have been very generous with time and information. I am sure mistakes will be made but the intent is to be as original as possible, as faithful to the intent of the Harrington as can be, while making an elegant and enjoyable car. I like to show them a few times and then drive them. Hangar queens are not my thing. These cars should be driven! Thanks so much for writing. Bert Bennett.

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your informative response.

As you may be able to tell from my ID photo, I have a Harrington Alpine. I've been working with a really talented fellow on reattaching the roof to the top of the windshield, just as you have. Does your Le Mans roof have wood bonded to the underside, either along the sides or across the front, where the top attaches to the windshield?

I'm asking because my car has that, and we're trying to identify what the Harrington factory did when mounting the roof in place.

When the top came off your car, was there a gasket or any kind of seal between the roof and the windshield? Did you make photos when the car was disassembled? If so, I would be most interested to see them; just to learn how the top was mounted would be tremendously helpful.

The color of your car looks stunning, but with the light in the paint booth, it's very hard to tell if it's Midnight Blue ( color code 58 ) or Commodore Blue ( color code 106 ). Do you know which it is? Either way, it simply looks Incredible, really.

Look forward to hearing back.

David

Media information

Album
HLM progress
Added by
Bobbytriumph
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings