• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Worlds fastest Sunbeam

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
An E-mail I recieved today:

The Short of it: Today, Dr Mayf (aka, Larry Mayfield) of Pahrump, NV has driven his Sunbeam (…shall we say…â€modified†Series V Alpine) to a speed of 204.912 mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats, NV, during the World of Speed event, Sept 16, 2010 to finally beat the 203.792 mph speed that Sir Henry Segrave ran in 1927 as the land speed record on the sands of Daytona Beach in his wire wheel, chain driven Sunbeam. Larry/DrMayf has been working for this day since he bought a rust bucket Alpine from a neighbor when he was working in Huntsville, AL in late summer of 1997. Needless to say he and his lovely wife/best friend/crew chief/co-owner/and many other titles and hats, Cathy are ecstatic.

I must add, he was only running to pass the 1927 Land Speed Record and become the World’s Fastest Sunbeam, and he’s done it!!!

His website: http://www.mayfco.com/msports.htm

RootesRooter

Donation Time
In previous emails from the Dr., he wrote that for years he had been running the stock, peaked headlight rims on his LSR attempts. I wonder if it it was the switch to the late, non-peaked style rims that gave him the fractional edge to put him over the top?

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
This is huge. I mean really huge. WOW!!

As someone said on the other forum, aside from the OTT feeling this gives and how grand an undertaking this was and successfully achieved, for the Alpine to still basically have the standard shape.....is, well, quite a surprise. The icing on the cake is that it's an Alpine.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
In previous emails from the Dr., he wrote that for years he had been running the stock, peaked headlight rims on his LSR attempts. I wonder if it it was the switch to the late, non-peaked style rims that gave him the fractional edge to put him over the top?

Hook, line, and headlight rim. Seven years later. Not much I can say.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I remember watching him on some cable channel episode at the salt lake, maybe Speedvision? I'll bet that was his first year on the salt.
Jan