• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

West Coast Invasion??

mickjj

Donation Time
Has there ever been any thought in holding the invasion in the Pacific Northwest?? Seattle,Portland or Vancouver would be ideal locations.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Has there ever been any thought in holding the invasion in the Pacific Northwest?? Seattle,Portland or Vancouver would be ideal locations.

What part of the West would people travel too? Pacific NW? Arizona? Wonder if we could set it up over July 4th to match SOVREN's vintage race historics?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
We try to hold a Sunbeam meet twice a year at PIR with the HSR Historical races. No chance or doing anything between llate April and Mid September... I sniveled about the heat elsewhere, some months back.

I figured there might be interest on coming down this way when it's snowing and cold north of here... That's the positive... On the flip side, before you get to some Sunbeam roads, you need to drive some distance. Might consider one night in Prescott, via Vulture Canyon Mine Road. One lane road north and another one south. Both sides cut into the side of the same mountain. Northbound is about 100 yards east and several hundred feet below. Road was too narrow to have both lanes side by side. Jerome is an old mining town with a bunch of twistys and it's pretty cool.

phatt

Donation Time
Phoenix in the spring or fall would be great. If you have never been to the desert it has its own beauty. How far is Phoenix from the Grand Canyon. If you have never seen that you should. Paul

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
There were some really scenic and fun-looking roads on my recent trip north out of Phoenix. Would have been great in the right car, that's for sure. Friday afternoon traffic spoiled it some, but still very scenic...
I'm sure Jim D. and his buddies know of some nice rides.

Ken

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
FYI, my house to Grand Canyon National Park is roughly 300 miles. I figure that's to the gate. (Never been there myself. :eek:) If there's enough interest I'd do a "study" for a Rolling Invasion. Start in Phoenix, drive to the Canyon and stay a day, down to Sedona, then backroads thru Jerome, Prescott and Wickenburg. Home to Phoenix, maybe in time for the vintage races. (Track time!) Or the other way around. Shorter drives. Maybe come back thru Payson/Show Low from the Canyon. Round trip about 725 miles.

If you cut out the canyon leg, the round trip is about 350 miles.

Anyway, that's the pitch. If members are interested, I'll check out accomodations and make a presentation.

How much lead time does the club allow to set one of these things up? If the Pacific Northwest members are prepared to host one up there, I'd support them going ahead. They proposed the idea first. It's not my intention to interfere with already scheduled Club events or jump in front of another section. We'll be glad to wait for our turn in the rotation.

mickjj

Donation Time
I would be quite willing to assist in setting up Pacific North West venue I am also sure that the President of Sunbeam Canada would help as well he has experience of hosting similar events. Plus my better half has hosted medical confrences here in Vancouver so would also be an asset to the team. I am meeting with him early next week so will get back to you. I know personally Phoenix would be a little to far to attend but thats not to say there could not be an event in that area

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Invasion Information

To the fellow Sunbeamer requesting "How far is it to Grand Canyon from Phoenix".....there are a couple of ways to get there from Phoenix, all good to excellent roads for scenery and "twisties". Straightest, fastest route is about 180 miles to the South rim, the most visited rim. It's about 6 hours to the North rim...beautiful country and neat sports car roads. It's a different view of the canyon, some say prettier than the South rim, but you don't get the full impact of just how huge the place is unless you go to the South rim. It does snow at the canyon and the road to the North rim is closed in the height of winter. Fall would be probably the best time to see it.

As Series 6 Nick said, there are a lot of mountainous roads good for sporty driving fairly close to Phoenix, in almost any direction you would want to go. Most can be done in one day out and back. Come on down and enjoy it with us. Just don't come until end of September....it's pretty toasty here until then.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Mileage Correction

I must have had my brain wired by Lucas Electric.....my road atlas says the Grand Canyon is 217 miles from Phoenix and I know it takes a little over 4 hours to drive there from here. I don't know where I got the 180 mile figure from. Nick's right, it is about 300 miles from his house. He lives on the complete opposite of the Phoenix valley area from me....have to pack a lunch to get there.

phatt

Donation Time
The Pacific Northwest would be great also. However, if we were to have it in Vancouver would we need passports? Paul

Pumpkin

Donation Time
When ? I have some ideas, though will be next year 2011, plus I am with a camping group. The PNW is a Great area and The local clubs have no idea on how to make ado. . I read that OHAN in Vancouver in BC is a likely.
Yes. Wonderful man and a lot of skills putting things together.. In order to do that area YES passports are a necessary evil. Beautiful area, wonderful people too.

The All British Field Meets are held in the Seattle area and Portland. If a coordination could be made there it would work out great for BOTH .
I live in the Portland area, there are several persons with clubs that MAY help, but it is close to avoid helping .

IF any one wishes contact me by PM ..
I may have some ideas. Not familiar with the Invasion type of scenario, it would help if an officer would contact me.

Chuck in Clackamas, OR

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
""The West is the Best... Get here and we'll do the rest" Thank you Jim Morrison...

Okiedoke.... There's your choices friends and neighbors... Vancouver, Oregon or Phoenix. Got a three sided coin to flip?

Anyone else wanna get in this? How about Castroville-Artichoke Capitol of the World? Reno-Tahoe? Sin City/Las Vegas.... Hey if we do Vegas we can take a run up the ET Highway to Rachel Nevada and try to sneak into Area 51...:D:D

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Here's a vote for Vancouver although passports might present a hassle. 2nd choice--Oregon or Seattle.

Jim E

Donation Time
Have done a few trips to Ohio in different Sunbeams the trip is around 10 hours from here to there and it is a ride make no mistake. A trip west would be something.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

If your Alpine has the later series seats, the trip can be a fun one. I have driven my Alpines from Seattle to L.A., to Charleston, SC and back, then later the same trip from Seattle to Nashville and back. I had a great time driving my V6 Alpines, so you would have a great time with your V6 Alpine. You would be able to cruise at 80-90 mph all the way acroos the wide open spaces. The four cylinder cars may have a bit of trouble, but they could have a good time too.

Jose

Have done a few trips to Ohio in different Sunbeams the trip is around 10 hours from here to there and it is a ride make no mistake. A trip west would be something.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Jim,

If your Alpine has the later series seats, the trip can be a fun one. I have driven my Alpines from Seattle to L.A., to Charleston, SC and back, then later the same trip from Seattle to Nashville and back. I had a great time driving my V6 Alpines, so you would have a great time with your V6 Alpine. You would be able to cruise at 80-90 mph all the way acroos the wide open spaces. The four cylinder cars may have a bit of trouble, but they could have a good time too.

Jose

Why would you suggest that a 4 cylinder car may have a bit of trouble?

That is nonsense, and resembles a plug for the darkside at factory 4 cylinder expense?

I drove the 1725 cc Airpine from Atlanta/Rapid City South Dakota/return with no glitch, using a worn, 2nd hand motor I installed in the back yard complete with downdraft Zeniths and rolling on ancient, original hubs and wire wheels.

I did not have overdrive and didn't really need it for cruising along, and had a great trip, top down the entire distance...

Allan

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Allan,

What I meant to say, is that unless the four cylinder had an overdrive, it will not cruise at 80-90 miles per, hour after hour. I know that some guys are brave enough to attempt such a long trip in their stocker. I admire them no end, 'cause I sure wouldn't try it.

Jose

p.s. I am not trying to promote the Dark Side. The Dark Side sells itself to those special people who can't leave well enough alone.