• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Water outlet

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
As spring and the Invasion approach, I have started doing all of the little projects that are necessary to get my SV ready for the Invasion. I rebuilt the clutch master yesterday and drained and replaced the brake fluid today. Now it is on to finding and fixing a persistent coolant leak that has bothered me for years. There may be more than one, but after some searching I found what is hopefully the sole problem: a cracked thermostat housing/water outlet. I have another one, so this isn't too big a deal. Hopefully, that is the whole problem.

The base of the spare outlet I have is a bit corroded, which I believe is pretty normal. I thought it would be a good idea to sand it down a bit to make certain the surface was at least smooth, and I was surprised to see that it is not flat. I only sanded a bit with very fine emery paper sitting of a flat surface, but the two pictures below show the polished areas around the mounting holes.

002uml.jpg

006te.jpg

It is a little hard to see in the first photo, but both ears look like the close up in the second picture.

Is it normal for the housings to be slightly dished, or should I continue to sand until I get a uniform surface?

Thanks.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. Is it worth sanding it more? How about bead blasting to be sure the surface is clean? Or, should I just bolt it up as is and forget it?

p.s. As soon as I have this cleared, I will be posting new questions about installing a Ford oil cooler at the same time. Stay tuned...

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Thanks. Is it worth sanding it more? How about bead blasting to be sure the surface is clean? Or, should I just bolt it up as is and forget it?

p.s. As soon as I have this cleared, I will be posting new questions about installing a Ford oil cooler at the same time. Stay tuned...

Put it on a very flat surface (glass table top or mirrors are good).

If its within .005 in the middle then just bolt it on with the RTV.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Jim,

Polish it! :D

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. It is hard to get an exact measure, as there is some slight rocking from top to bottom. Regardless, it is more than .005, so I will do some sanding against that flat surface to take back closer to flat.

Your comment about RTV brings up something I have always meant to ask. People say "use RTV" all the time, but there are lots of different RTVs. Does it really matter, or can I just use what I have on hand as long as it is listed as being ok with water?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, I have decided the various RTV formulations are about like toothpaste. They all do the same job. One that is water proof (as far as I know, all of them) should be okay. The manager at the local O'Reilly parts store told me he sells a butt load of the cheap RTV to repeat customers. It works fine.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jim, I have decided the various RTV formulations are about like toothpaste. They all do the same job. One that is water proof (as far as I know, all of them) should be okay. The manager at the local O'Reilly parts store told me he sells a butt load of the cheap RTV to repeat customers. It works fine.

Bill

I kinda like the high temp red one.

You can use it anywhere on the motor and only have to keep one flavor.