• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

a few pics of my tiger

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Earl,

Nice shed full of cars :cool: . It's good to be able to put a picture of the car to the person on the forum. Nice paint job on the Tiger. Is that an MG scoop on your Tiger?

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rob,

Which image are you reffering to? The black tiger looks to have the stock LAT bonet.

Earl, when did you fit the front spoiler (and why?) I remember this car on ebay a while back (probably more than 3 years now) is that where you got it? If so.. i remember thinking it was a good buy at the time... am sure its been a blast since.

64beam

Donation Time
Rob,

Which image are you reffering to? The black tiger looks to have the stock LAT bonet.

Earl, when did you fit the front spoiler (and why?) I remember this car on ebay a while back (probably more than 3 years now) is that where you got it? If so.. i remember thinking it was a good buy at the time... am sure its been a blast since.

Hi Michael,

I was not referring to the bonnet, I was talking about the front spoiler, air dam...what ever takes your fancy. Wrong choice of words I suppose.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I was not referring to the bonnet,
Regards, Robin.

got ya... when you said scoop and i saw the LAt hood (bonet for us in AU) i didnt even think you mean tthe spoiler.. air dam etc... as a quick side note will you be gogin to the escape run? I put the side exhausts back on the tiegr today. .started it up.. athen realised there is no way i can do that to the neighbours before 7am on a long weekend.. and the blitz on at the oment.. think it would end up a bad day for me.. poor timing i guess.. :rolleyes:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I was not referring to the bonnet, I was talking about the front spoiler, air dam...what ever takes your fancy. Wrong choice of words I suppose.

Regards, Robin.

Hi Robin
The spoiler on Earl's car is the same as mine on the Lister.I also have one on the 62 .He liked the look and asked me where I got it.
It is an MG spoiler available from Moss Motors.Look then up on line and you should be able to find it. This is almost a perfect fit.It is a simple installation needing a center bracket made up to fit the valance and the center of the spoiler.You need to make a few simple brackets to secure the top edge to the valance.You will then see that a minor trim is needed at the wheel wells.I do mean a minor trim.Of course this depends on how you have fitted the spoiler

64beam

Donation Time
got ya... when you said scoop and i saw the LAt hood (bonet for us in AU) i didnt even think you mean tthe spoiler.. air dam etc... as a quick side note will you be gogin to the escape run? I put the side exhausts back on the tiegr today. .started it up.. athen realised there is no way i can do that to the neighbours before 7am on a long weekend.. and the blitz on at the oment.. think it would end up a bad day for me.. poor timing i guess.. :rolleyes:

Hi Michael,

I just got back from the Escape run. Great run out to the Beechworth bakery in Healsville. I pushed along a beautiful red Ferrari F430 all the way there ;) . You should have come along as I'm sure you could have pushed it past your heighbours :D . It is the easter nats you know. Only saw two cops on the road and they weren't even interested in us. Next run maybe :) .

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin
The spoiler on Earl's car is the same as mine on the Lister.I also have one on the 62 .He liked the look and asked me where I got it.
It is an MG spoiler available from Moss Motors.Look then up on line and you should be able to find it. This is almost a perfect fit.It is a simple installation needing a center bracket made up to fit the valance and the center of the spoiler.You need to make a few simple brackets to secure the top edge to the valance.You will then see that a minor trim is needed at the wheel wells.I do mean a minor trim.Of course this depends on how you have fitted the spoiler

Hi Chuck,

I thought I recognised them on MG's. I don't know whether I would go out and buy one just yet...I'm not 100% convinced. Maybe it was just the angle of Earl's picture, but just didn't look quite right (no offence to either of you). As long as you both are happy, who cares about my opinion :) .

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I just got back from the Escape run. Great run out to the Beechworth bakery in Healsville. I pushed along a beautiful red Ferrari F430 all the way there ;) . You should have come along as I'm sure you could have pushed it past your heighbours :D . It is the easter nats you know. Only saw two cops on the road and they weren't even interested in us. Next run maybe :) .

Regards, Robin.

Hey rob,

I really wanted to come along.. i have yet to make an esacpe run. As for the pushing.. i had a go.. but there is to much angle on the drive.. did manage to get the alpine up it without an engine... but tiger was no chance...

As for mine not attarcting attention from the white and blue..... hahaha.. you really have to hear it the way it is right now... the first week i had it (the last time i had it with this exhaust) i got pulled over after i drove by with clutch dipped and idling.. the officers u-turned and chased me down.. i was on a temporary permit at the time.. so was ok.. i think you would be surprised at how loud i am talking about.. think flat out group N mustang.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Chuck,

I thought I recognised them on MG's. I don't know whether I would go out and buy one just yet...I'm not 100% convinced. Maybe it was just the angle of Earl's picture, but just didn't look quite right (no offence to either of you). As long as you both are happy, who cares about my opinion :) .

Regards, Robin.

Hi Robin
Earl mounted his a little different.
Very busy today with all coming for Easter I will look to see if I have some good pics of the spoiler.If not I 'll take a couple relatively soon and post them

bluoval

Donation Time
chin spoiler

An answer to the question as to why the chin spoil; While on an run of about 130 mph thru the high plains of Utah the tiger got realy light and with just a little cross wind we would have scattered parts. So the spoiler is for down force. Am still looking for the perfect rear spoiler.. I realy do not like the plastic material of the moss chin spoiler but it was fitted without any body modification. The yellow alpine v6 is now being used for parts for another v6 conversion. The 53 bel air is gathering dust and does go out for a Sunday drive every now and then. earl bluoval

alpine_64

Donation Time
Earl,

I have seen a few tiger race guys just put a very small (maybe 1 inch) lip around the bottom of the front valanve to help act as a spliter and hold the front down. Infact the LM alpines had hoped to use the stock number plate bracket and plate for that exact reason (but had to remove it for technical issues with clearance). I think there are probably much more subtle ways to achieve the same result.

bluoval

Donation Time
subtle hell

Mike May be I mis-understood your post ,If so i'm sorry. If I wanted subtle ,I would have someting stock like maybe a Granada. Maybe we just hear a different drummers. I'm a Ginger Baker kind of guy, maybe you like Phil Collins. Thats o.k. with me , just dont try to push Phil on me. I will build my cars them way I want them. I you were just pointing out that there were other avenues thats o.k only you know . But to me it was a put down. Earl bluoval

alpine_64

Donation Time
hey Earl... Sorry, was not supposed to be a put down. When you said it was to stop the car from lifting i thought you had chosen it as it was somerthing that would stop the lift and fitted without much trouble, i was saying that if that was the issue you could have used a small chin peice and achieved the same result without such an obvious addition.. if the new look was what you were going for, no problems, its your car not mine and its a nice car very presentable.

As for music tastes.. well not really a phil collins kind of guy.. have no idea who/what the ginger bakers are... my music tastes are probably a little different and harder than most guys on the board.. then again.. thats more to do with me being a little on the younger side of the sunbeam ownership spectrum..

bluoval

Donation Time
Ginger Baker

Mike No problem. Eric Clapton , Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker made up the rock group known as Cream. Ginger Bakers style was innovative and thought by many to be heads and sholders above any other drummer untill his tragic death. As for the down force the chin spoiler did the job and I have a Tiger that doesn't look the same as every other Tiger or Alpine so it served my purpose in two ways. Earl bluoval

alpine_64

Donation Time
Earl,

thanks for the quick education on the ginger baker thing, i know of Eric Clapton others.. not sure.

Regarding your car.. you mentioned the idea of a rear spoiler, Chris Briegtlings or Jackie Cochranes Tigers in the UK run bootlid flaps to hold their race cars down.. i can get you a pic if you want. Also, i asked in an earlier post, did you get that car off ebay a few years back?

As for spoliers, wings etc.. on a light hearted note:

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Micheal
Actually the front spoiler sort of and will create some vacum effect under the car which of course will aid in down force.Having a rake does help in down force probably more effective than the spoler but every bit helps.
Of course there is the look as well which makes it a bit different.
I have only had the lister up to 125 MPH and I just don't want to go that fast anymore.Mind you I do like the rush when around 25 MPH you put the petal to the metal and are pushed back into the seat.

64beam

Donation Time
I have only had the lister up to 125 MPH and I just don't want to go that fast anymore.Mind you I do like the rush when around 25 MPH you put the petal to the metal and are pushed back into the seat.

Hi Chuck,

I don't blame you. There is only one place for that kind of speed, unless you live in Germany. Too many things to go wrong on the public roads.

Regards, Robin.