• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Caravan to the Invasion 2008

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Just checking to see how many are ready or about to be ready or are working feverlishly to get ready for our caravan to Tipp City Labor Day weekend.
I'm waiting for a new distributor cap and an accelarator pump for the Weber. Other than that, I'm ready to go. Hotel reservations are in place for Steve and myself, route all planned, GPS ready to go.
LET'S ROLL!
Alpine Bob

sd_pace

Donation Time
tom an I pulled my motor last weekend to fix an oil leak ... but we should have it back together in time to go.... lookin foward to the tripp
steve

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Allan, Steve, Tom,
What's the status on your cars? I got mine back today and the accelerator pump was replaced on my Weber. Boy what a difference it makes when it's also adjusted right.
Bob :)

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm so ready to go my car is already there ! Drove up last Sunday, so i could get the gearbox worked on. What a GREAT drive started out very foggy so i stayed on 75 longer than I wanted to, but once the fog broke (Lake City, Tenn) I took 63 over to 27 THAT's the road to use. A really enjoyable drive with no pressure from other vehicles (trucks, SUV's etc) lot of sights to see. Car drove like a dream, not a hint of any problems. Smooth sailing all the way..
Now, I just need to hitch a ride to Tipp

Tom j

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
That shouldn't be a problem. If you can get Susan to drive you over to Micky Dees on Windy Hill and I75 you can ride the rest of the way with me or Allan or Steve or whoever else comes. I knew you would like 27. Cool road.
Bob

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Bob, everyone, I plan to attend whether or not Air-pine attends. I can provide a lift, no problem.

The Zeniths are still a problem. Not sure what is going on. The theory is that a substitute, used fuel pump that had not been checked flooded them with a rust-appearing substance.

Car guys broke them down, and now they are back on the car, but are "unresponsive" whatever "unresponsive" means.

I suppose it is a technical term meaning "still screwed up."

Am thinking it is time to pay the carb guys a visit and talk to a tech, not just the front manager.

This coming week will complete two months at the carb shop, which is a little on the slow side seems to me.

sd_pace

Donation Time
I had an opportunity to repair many things and should be ready to reinstall this weekend..... then i am ready to gooo!

did you hear that tom.... this weekend?:D

also ..Allen ...I would mind lookin at those carbs for ya... i really curious why they are having so many problems
steve

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, Sat or Sun? Let me know. How'd the steering repair go ?
Hey, check the for sales... Prefect conversion car for ya !(same color as yours) Leave the one you got orginal :cool:

Tom j

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor

also ..Allen ...I would mind lookin at those carbs for ya... i really curious why they are having so many problems
steve

I'm going to the carby shop in the morning.

Using my new airplane wrench (thanks Tom) the head will be retorqued without removing the rocker assembly.

Carby guys claim the head gasket leaks near the center.

Carby guys also say carbs have a "miss." The "miss" is holding up the effort.

Any idea what causes a Zenith to "miss .. ??"

The Zeniths were doing fine until they were flooded with the mystery substance.

Now they have had professional attention but "miss."

Allan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Allan, have to confess, that is the first time I have ever heard of a carb having a "miss". I'm beginning to think you'd better be making arrangements to "rent" that Ranger and a tow dolly and bring the Series IV to the Invasion, one way or the other.

Of course, that means you'd probably have to tow a perfectly running Series IV back to Georgia.

By the way, remember back about 6 months ago, I said don't pull the head, you'll be lucky to have it back on the road by Labor Day? You thought I was kidding, didn't you?

Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill,

so true about pulling the head :) I think now I'd drive the car to the Invasion and pull the head there, surrounded by folks who know Sunbeams.

But there is something positive about visiting the scene so I went to see 'whas happnen' to the 'beam.

Big surprise, car is ready !! except that the slave cylinder blew out ...

Tomorrow or next day I will take a replacement slave cylinder and install it; they will help bleed the system, then I will drive it ... home ... ???

This will be the second NOS slave cylinder, so not sure what is causing them to blow out.

When I replaced the clutch master cylinder, the old slave blew out, and I put on a NOS. Now it blew out ..

Regarding the coolant leak, I am told that two leaks were present. One was due to the gasket, but it 'sealed' so good news maybe.

The other is due to a leak around the brass fitting that connects the head to the heater hoses. It leaks a little but I knew that already.

So...slave cylinder ahoy and off she goes .. :)

Allan

mikephillips

Donation Time
You might try putting a new seal in the NOS cylinder before you install it. It might be that it's just reached it age limit and is wearing out quickly under use.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
You might try putting a new seal in the NOS cylinder before you install it. It might be that it's just reached it age limit and is wearing out quickly under use.

Good idea, thanks!

I'll order a rebuild kit. For now though, as I don't have a kit, the NOS cylinder in "inventory" will have to do. Maybe it's ok enough to get me home .. and onwards to Tipp City .. :)

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, Finally some good news for you. I know you've been through the ringer with your car, I'd offer up my rebuild kit 'cept it's in Tipp with my car.. Pick that car up and start test driving it !! You need to get some miles on it before we head north..... ENJOY........

Tom j

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Tom,

Thanks, the car will be road tested thoroughly after it gets me home.

Getting me home is the first test :) .

Since the county where the car is located is north of here, that will be down hill all the way home though, right :) :)

If nothing else breaks then I'll try and install the gearbox Jan rebuilt. I got an el cheapo transmission jack at Harbor Freight, should be doable for a rookie.

Gearbox & the soft top, test. That's the plan.

I'd like to do the dash too, but there is little time.

At least it's nice and warm these days. Saw 101 on a sign while out walking
today, but then it clouded up a bit.

Allan

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Allan,
Sounds like AirPine will be flying up to Tipp City with the rest of us on Thursday morning the 28th. We'll see you all at Micky Dees on Windy Hill @ 4:30AM.
Cheers,
Bob:D

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank God you finally got a heater for your garage!

Bill

Haha! so true...almost warm enough to kill mosquitoes .. :)

Drove the Air-pine home today, er, almost home. Drove 22 miles then blew out the slave cylinder again.

Rick at SS opined that moving the slave to the "other side" of the bell housing should resolve this issue.

If I have all the pieces, tomorrow they will go back together, and the cylinder moved.

Car ran strong. A little hot at 200 degrees, assuming the gauge was correct, in 100 degree heat on the freeway, good oil pressure @ 40 or 45 somewhere in there, amp gauge positive, no terror inducing engine noises, nothing started leaking.

Tach sprang to life, but mostly the needle fluctuated wildly. At an indicated speed of 70ish it showed 3,000RPM, so probably the speedometer is not right either, unless Air-pine has some funky surprise gears.

Would be nice to discover that the EAL mechanic had installed some fancy gears :) .

I did hear some tingle sounds, might be the valve adjustment is not correct.

Whew!

I've driven the car a bit, but this was the first "real" drive, and I must say it has been worth the wait.

Allan

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Allan, Most likely you'll be hearing lots of "sounds" ...........just need to decide which are normal and which are......well you know!!
If I get some time on Sunday, and can fill the Blue'beam up with enough fluids
Maybe I'll shoot over to your place if your going to be around............
I know you'll be testing if possible..
Tom j