• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

50th Anniversary Harrington Gathering 2011

alpine_64

Donation Time
Harrington 50th,

Ian, whats the current count on surviving Harringtons? I know of 4 LM's in Australia (all are runners), how many are running, in restoration in the USA? How many in UK and abroad. There seem to be a few in the German Sunbeam club too. I think their survival rate may be higher than people think, they just dont come out together often.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Sorry to stir the soup!
I can see where you would want it to be just Harringtons, it's just that it is something I would love to see and what better way to get there than in an Alpine.
Then again, I haven't had much luck getting to an Invasion in an Alpine, so......

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
Ian
Probably many Harrington owners are joint to a "Alpine" or a "Rootes" Club as there are not so many H around to form an thoroughbred local chapter. I guess.
Andy

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Oh come on boys.. stop your fighting.. V6 .. stock alpine.. quad four... Just buy a Tiger!!:D Now retreating to my underground bunker....

Stock Alpine.V6 Alpine.Stock Tiger.Been there for all of the them but no
quad 4
I guess I have gone and really went to the dark side as both the 64 alpine and now the 62 alpine are V8s
We drove the 62 on a quite a few long trips pulling the matching trailer.Two of them were 5000 and 6000 milers.
The 62 was one great dependable car with its slightly warmed over 2.6 V6.
I never had any worries when we set out on any trip.The only thing that stopped me fro a little bit was loosing a clip that held the transmission rods in the linkage.The car was so dependable I looked back and there was the clip sitting right there behind the car.You can't keep a good car from taking care of you.
We retired the 2.6 just before 178000 miles but was hoping to pass the 200000 mark.It just got tired and to rebuild the 2.6 or a 2.8 was just too much money compared to buying a roller cam 302.Mind you there were some goodies to get like bell housing,flywheel and clutch plus a t5 tranny.
As to going to the Invasion i just don't know but I sure would like to be going
Yes distance does play into this.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Harrington 50th,

Ian, whats the current count on surviving Harringtons? I know of 4 LM's in Australia (all are runners), how many are running, in restoration in the USA? How many in UK and abroad. There seem to be a few in the German Sunbeam club too. I think their survival rate may be higher than people think, they just dont come out together often.

As far as for HLM´s in Germany we have 1 restored, 2 currently undergoing restoration, 1 project in dry storage plus 1 Harrington Alpine somewhere up in the North. Haven´t heard much from it lately but the previous owner of my first Tiger brought it over from UK in the early nineties. Furthermore there is 1 beautiful HLM in Switzerland owned by the previous President of Swiss Tiger club. And not to forget about Jan and the Scandinavian following & UK & France. Anyhow a long journey but at least I´m considering...

CyrilHLM

Donation Time
Harrington Le Mans

Hi All,

I have owned a '63 Harrington Le Mans in the Philippines for a few years now. Probably the only one in PI. I bought it in a very sad state, but felt that it needed to be saved. It was originally purchased in PI by a race car driver called "Dodgie" Laurel. Dodgie had won the Macau Grand Prix twice ('61 and '63), and was going for a third when he hit a wall in a Lotus and died. The picture you see is the car after paint. Instead of keeping with the wood roof frame, I have had it all changed to a small diameter steel cage that will be hidden by the interior and makes the car extremely tight. In fact, even without the windshield frame installed, the roof will not move!! Anyway, the engine is being rebuilt, I had stainless steel spoked rims made by Dayton, but I do not have the original tranny, which I understand had overdrive in all gears (was this the only box offered?). I attended the Manila Sports Car Club Concourse and 40th Dinner in '07, (Dodgie was the founder) and saw numerous pictures of my car when it was owned by Dodgie. Very cool indeed. I would really like to get more info about these cars, as I know a bit of the history, but not sure about a lot of the details (my dash had a mix of different brand gauges, etc.). Could someone provide detailed pics of the engine compartment, dash, interior, and outside chrome strip and badges please. I have a stainless guy here who can make the trim. He is very good and has done both my '65 GTOs, and will do trim for my 356s too. I will have him make the spears and "Le Mans" emblem. If good, I can offer them to other members (the cost here is pretty reasonable). I'll post pics when done, but that may be a while as we are finishing up a few other cars first (business before pleasure). I want this car for my own to use while attending MSCC and other functions in Manila, although I originally bought it to drive every day. Some may consider this terrible, but we have fitted air to the car. In this country, you really need air, never need heat though.

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi and welcome to the forum and the Le Mans group. I'll be happy to share some photos with you, send your email address and areas that you want photos of and I'll send you some. There's a good group of guys on the forum in various stages of restoration of their Harringtons. I for one would be very interested in anything you might be able to have made by your stainless guy. Please post some pics of your car and some of your work so far.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Welcome to the HLM forum. If your guy is good for reproducing the spears, pls. have a set remade for me as well ...

atallamcs

Donation Time
Harrington Anniversary

Sorry I am not up to date on this event. Is there a specific time and date set for 2011. I know it has been discussed for years but not about to read all the posts to determine if this is a reality. Please enlighten me, thanks.
Bill Atalla

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
There has been lots of water under the bridge since this idea was brought up a few years ago. Key players no longer have Harringtons and I am not going to put together a show to have just one Harrington (mine) show up. Perhaps Harrington could be the featured marque at this year's Invasion?
But that is Jack Bacon's call.
How about a show of hands-who owns a Harrington that will bring it to a designated show on the East coast this year? Thanks, Eric

65beam

Donation Time
harrington gathering

eric,
we would not probably not make it. we have scheduled events in may,june ,july and august. count us out. we won't even make the invasion.

jack Bacon

Silver Level Sponsor
We could make it the featured marque at this year's Invasion but i would want to make sure that at least one or more would make it to the event

Jack

pjmotorsports

Donation Time
Maybe you guys could Tie this into United 30 in Southern Indiana at French Lick..Im sure the chairman would love more Rare rootes and harringtons to attend.Or possibly have another fall meet for harringtons at United?just a suggestion

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

since the united is close to home for us, we plan on having the red lemans at the united. we hope to get four cars to the united if the kid's future better half learns to drive a car with a clutch.