• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil cooler on ebay

RootesRacer

Donation Time
These oil coolers were used on some 2.3 turbo ford cars, and use the same filter type we use on our rootes engined alpines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Mu...oryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a MUCH more effective cooler than the stock piece that came on SV 1724 engines, and since you run only water lines to it, there are no frayed oil lines to wear out and leak.
Lastly, since there are no oil lines, oil pressure comes up much faster on startup.

I have one of these from an XR4Ti which is like this, but also has a 90 degree alloy adapter.

Not my auction, but the price is good and its a great upgrade.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Another advantage is that as it is a water-to-oil heat exchanger, you won't overcool the oil as you can easily do in very cold weather with an air-to-oil cooler like the stock SV one. I think I may be the only forum member who covers the oil cooler when the temperature drops below 32 degrees (zero to you Colonials). The oil should ideally be around 220 degrees (104C). If it's too cold it will not boil or evaporate off the water that is a product of combustion [each gallon of gas produces approx. one gallon of water] that it picks up, thus reducing lubrication and also promoting sludge and corrosion.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Another advantage is that as it is a water-to-oil heat exchanger, you won't overcool the oil as you can easily do in very cold weather with an air-to-oil cooler like the stock SV one. I think I may be the only forum member who covers the oil cooler when the temperature drops below 32 degrees (zero to you Colonials). The oil should ideally be around 220 degrees (104C). If it's too cold it will not boil or evaporate off the water that is a product of combustion [each gallon of gas produces approx. one gallon of water] that it picks up, thus reducing lubrication and also promoting sludge and corrosion.

After reading this note, I remembered seeing a writeup in one of the standard Haynes, Chilton, Clymer class of manuals, but haven't found it. I did check a VB catalog that came with the S IV, and they offered an oil cooler shroud (looks like for earlier Series) to do what Nick describes. Very cool idea <s>. They have something else new to me, an oil thermostat to help with extreme cold situations. These parts perhaps are available elsewhere, I happened to have a VB catalog handy. Guess I'll try some type of thermal cover this winter.

Allan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
They have something else new to me, an oil thermostat to help with extreme cold situations. These parts perhaps are available elsewhere, I happened to have a VB catalog handy. Guess I'll try some type of thermal cover this winter.
Allan

The mechanical oil thermo is just another component to fail.

If you go with this water to oil exchanger (like the one above), an oil thermo is totally unneeded since the water temp is ALWAYS lower than the oil temp, but higher than the ambient air (EXC posibly startup).

Its a simple system, heats the oil if it needs to, cools it if it needs it too.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The mechanical oil thermo is just another component to fail.

If you go with this water to oil exchanger (like the one above), an oil thermo is totally unneeded since the water temp is ALWAYS lower than the oil temp, but higher than the ambient air (EXC posibly startup).

Its a simple system, heats the oil if it needs to, cools it if it needs it too.

I'm not recommending one method vs the other, the water to oil unit does make sense. Just wanted to point out methods to blanket a cooler, along the lines Nick described.

Allan

64beam

Donation Time
Help required.

Hi,

I was the winning bidder for the Ebay auction that RootesRacer posted. After winning the auction, stupid me realised that the seller does not have a PayPal account. The seller lives in Greenwood, IN 46143 and he prefers postal money order, money order or cash. If required, could somone please help me out :eek: ?

Kind Regards, Robin.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
eBay auction

Hi Robin,

I'll be happy to help you out. Is the buyer willing to post to OZ if I pay him with one of his accepted methods? If not, he can send to me and I'll forward to you as I ship overseas frequently. PM me with what details you can and we'll sort this out.

Rgds, Mark ..... volvoguys

Nickodell

Donation Time
I assume that you checked out his feedback rating. I'm always suspicious of sellers with no PayPal account. Once he has your money you have no real recourse and have to depend on his integrity.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

I'll be happy to help you out. Is the buyer willing to post to OZ if I pay him with one of his accepted methods? If not, he can send to me and I'll forward to you as I ship overseas frequently. PM me with what details you can and we'll sort this out.

Rgds, Mark ..... volvoguys

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for the offer. I have'nt heard back from the seller yet, but if there is a problem sending to Australia I will organise to send it to you. Did you have a PayPal account?

Kind Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Now that I'm in the process of getting the shipping organised, where is the best place to 'plumb-in' the cooler?

Thanks, Robin.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Hi,

Now that I'm in the process of getting the shipping organised, where is the best place to 'plumb-in' the cooler?

Thanks, Robin.

It just needs water going to the cooler, breaking into the pipe that goes from the water pump to the thermo housing sounds OK since its so close.

Otherwise, re-route the hose that goes from the pump to the head, and break into that one.

Do NOT break into the heater circuit since when its valve is off, no water will flow.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I am slowly but surely cleaning up and painting my oil cooler ready for my Alpine. I noticed that the oil cooler retaining bolt/adapter has a recess machined into it and wondered if an O-ring is required to help seal the oil cooler? Someone with some knowledge in these coolers would be very helpful.

Thank you, Robin.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yes it looks like an O-ring goes there.

This would prevent leaks around the cooler and filter, not an external leak.

64beam

Donation Time
Got it installed.

Hi,

I got everything finished and installed today and does'nt look too bad. The only thing I will probably change is the water connections as where they are have caused some kinking to the hoses (cut into the hose that goes from the pump to the head, but requires longer hose connections). Have'nt been out for a drive with it yet because I was worried about the hoses being kinked slightly (will this cause any problem to the pump ?).
The black oil cooler was the second of the two that I won, so if anyone is interested let me know.

Regards, Robin.