• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Roll/sway bars

Limey

Donation Time
Roll bars - My S2 has a half inch roll bar (which is rubbish). When did they change to 5/8''?.

I have 5/8th and a 7/8ths bars in my spares but the angle of them differs from the 1/2 inch one. So must be for the later type front suspension? My local forge is reshaping them to match the S2's 1/2 inch 'coat hanger' Just wanted to discover what thicknesses were available for the earlier cars and when they changed thickness and shape.

Thanks,

Oliver

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a late model 7/8" sway bar on my series 2, I am not sure why the ones you have don't fit. My stock one was 5/8"

Limey

Donation Time
Strange...So, My S2 had the 1/2 inch sway bar and I thought nothing of it but wanted to up grade it. So I went to one of my donor S2 cars and removed the 5/8 but noticed it had a slightly different shape in that the two inboard retaining clamps couldn't be 'closed'. I then compared this doner 5/8 with a new Tiger 7/8 I have and it was the same shape as the tiger unit. I therefore assumed this was a later model shape. The 1/2 inch one fits perfectly to both my car and the donor. Have I got a front axle from another Rootes car? Can't imagine I have as I rebuilt it with S2 parts and it looks exactly as parts book illustrations and the donor.

Now I really am confused...

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
A late series bar will not fit an early car. Before I realized this, I attempted to fit one on my S3 - no dice. There is a previous post somewhere where I posted pictures of the two different bars laying next to one another.

Limey

Donation Time
A late series bar will not fit an early car. Before I realized this, I attempted to fit one on my S3 - no dice. There is a previous post somewhere where I posted pictures of the two different bars laying next to one another.

Thanks Mike - As I thought. Just wanted to be sure

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
This is the only picture I have of mine off the car, just back from powder coat. The funny thing is it came off a Tiger.
RIMG0624-XL.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think the issue will be between the kingoin front end vs the later ball joint type. The arms are different.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I also have a 7/8th on my Series II, installed many years ago. No trouble installing as I remember.

Hodee

Donation Time
For what its worth, I put a 7/8 Tiger bar on my Ser V and it improved handling and feel dramatically for the good. I have no reference for any other series.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
What type of front end did SIV have - like SV or like the early Series? The angle of the A arm on S3 is different then SV. The SV bar I tried to put on my S3 was a definite mis-match.

alpine_64

Donation Time
What type of front end did SIV have - like SV or like the early Series? The angle of the A arm on S3 is different then SV. The SV bar I tried to put on my S3 was a definite mis-match.
SIV and V were the ball joint front ends. The I-3 are the kingpin.. As i said earlier in the thread different arms.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Roll bars - My S2 has a half inch roll bar (which is rubbish). When did they change to 5/8''?.

I have 5/8th and a 7/8ths bars in my spares but the angle of them differs from the 1/2 inch one. So must be for the later type front suspension? My local forge is reshaping them to match the S2's 1/2 inch 'coat hanger' Just wanted to discover what thicknesses were available for the earlier cars and when they changed thickness and shape.

Thanks,

Oliver
I went to upgrade the 1/2" in my series II with a 5/8" obtained from an unknown parts pile. The angle was slightly different and when I made it fit, the center of the sway bar was pressing into the crosmember. The forum searches seem vague on this information and one search says they added a second front sway bar but didn't say how. Back to running the 1/2".

Limey

Donation Time
I went to upgrade the 1/2" in my series II with a 5/8" obtained from an unknown parts pile. The angle was slightly different and when I made it fit, the center of the sway bar was pressing into the crosmember. The forum searches seem vague on this information and one search says they added a second front sway bar but didn't say how. Back to running the 1/2".

It's a year on since my local forge re shaped a later 5/8ths to fit my SII. You could do it yourself with an oxy torch, heavy welders gauntlets and seriously well bolted down vice and bench.

It made a huge difference to the cornering. Stopped it diving