• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New issues with recent purchase - looking for parts

SierraNev

Diamond Level Sponsor
Greetings,

Please forgive me as I am a real newbie.

I have had my Sunbeam Alpine for almost a month and I am starting to notice things.

I mentioned that I am missing the visors and hardware. I know why. They are super expensive to replace.

This weekend I hope to tackle the e brake situation. Thank you for all your help and advice.

My better half is looking to buy me a birthday present and I have been putting together a list.

I would love black floor mats with ALPINE in red letters

The horn is broken, so I will look into that as well. The center piece fall into my lap on acceleration.

The "latch" that keeps the drivers door from over opening is gone.

The rubber seal from the soft top to the windshield is in multiple pieces

Starting with Sunbeam Specialties.

Finally in looking under the hood and admiring the whimsical attempts of a shade tree mechanic, I noticed something is missing. Is this where the heater element should be?

I did find in my garage pistons and engine parts from a car I sold 25 years ago. Not sure if they are from the Series 2 or the Series 4 I sold. Anyone interested?

I hope to see you all at Queen's English at Woodley Park. I will be the one asking a million questions.

Hopefully "Ruby" will make it there and back !

Best regards

Emmett
Aseries2@aol.com

Thanks again

Attachments

• Alpine engine parts.jpg
    Alpine engine parts.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Something missing under the hood.jpg
    Something missing under the hood.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 90

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
That is where the servo would go. They are commonly missing and bypassed. I have no problems using my brakes without the servo

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I mentioned that I am missing the visors and hardware. I know why. They are super expensive to replace.

I am sure someone here will correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the visors were an option, except on the GTs. That is probably why your car doesn't have either the visors or the hardware. The reality is that the original visors don't work very well (at least in my experience), in large part because the posts tend to rust in one place, forcing over zealous owners to damage the hardware trying to move them. The repro sold by SS and CS are supposed to be much better. I have a set that I have been saving for my SIV (long story for another day) so I can't speak firsthand as to how well they work. But, they certainly look better than the stock set I added to my SV.
I hope to see you all at Queen's English at Woodley Park. I will be the one asking a million questions.
Spending time around other Alpines and Alpine owners is definitely the best thing you can do right now. If you haven't already, I also recommend spending some time with the Tech Manuals that are hosted on our home page: http://sunbeamalpine.org/original-tech-manuals/

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
In your picture that has the main bearing caps, there are five of them.... that being the case they could be from a a SERIES V 1725 engine, mind ya ! I said could be.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are the main bearing caps numbered (1 - 5 ) ? If they are , Dan is most likely correct about them.
Let me know if they are and if you'd like to sell them. I have a 1725 block and cranksahft , but no
bearing caps.

Cheers!
Steve

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
In your engine compartment photo, I think you are referring to the spot indicated by my green arrow where the brake booster would have been. In any case, you don't have a brake booster mounted, or it is somewhere else in the engine compartment. If that is absent, a previous owner may have changed out the brake master cylinder as well to get better braking advantage in the absence of the booster. There are Lockheed type boosters available if you want to go that route. I got mine at the now defunct Victoria British. Moss and others may have them.

Rick
eng comp1.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
They won’t embroider “Alpine” because it’s a model name. Silly, but true.

Attachments

• 260B8AA5-233E-4462-81F4-E6720D7918C9.jpeg
    260B8AA5-233E-4462-81F4-E6720D7918C9.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 38

SierraNev

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are the main bearing caps numbered (1 - 5 ) ? If they are , Dan is most likely correct about them.
Let me know if they are and if you'd like to sell them. I have a 1725 block and cranksahft , but no
bearing caps.

Cheers!
Steve

Good afternoon,

I do not see a number on the bearing caps? They are really grimey. An hint?

What are they worth and what would you pay for them?

Thanks

Emmett
Aseries2@aol.com

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If they are 1725 caps, the numbers will be in the center of the cap. That's if it were installed in a block.
Not the bearing side.
Let's see if they have the numbers and we'll take it from there.
Thanks!
Steve

Maybe post a close up picture of them all together?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Brain dead stupid. The Rootes group hasn't existed since 1978 (????)
True, and I'm with you in spirit, but the assets were purchased in 1978 by Peugeot (for $1.00!) and they still hold the rights. It seems Chrysler chair Lee Iacocca thought Chrysler had been stupid for ever having purchased Rootes Group in the first place, so he wanted to dump it quick.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Someone ( I can't remember who) on the forum has the font for the Alpine.
If you get the font, you can have any local embroidery shop put it on floor mats for you.
That's what I did and was happy with the result.

SierraNev

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing.

Where did you get your mats? Do they have a rubber backing?

I enjoy you instagram postings

Best regards,

Emmett Cassidy
ASeries2@aol.com

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing.

Where did you get your mats? Do they have a rubber backing?

I enjoy you instagram postings

Best regards,

Emmett Cassidy
ASeries2@aol.com
I actually got my mats from Walmart.
They have grippers on the back but are not solid rubber.
Really thick mats cause issues with the embroidery. You can by them made with the lettering but you'll pay five times the price.
The other cool thing is that once your local shop has the font, you use it for shirts, hats, etc.
I only put mine in at shows/cruise-ins to preserve them.
No matter how careful you are, you have to walk on the ground, so the threaded lettering will eventually get dingy with use.
I won't say I never drive the car with them in but I primarily keep them in the boot and and put them in for looks.