• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door hinges

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
So my recently purchased car had a non functional passenger door. As the door was opened, it would catch on the fender. In order to get clearance, the door had to be moved all the way in. At this point, the door sheet metal aligned with the fender very nicely. However, there was a huge front gap and a 1/8" negative gap at rear.

What adjustment should I have made at this time? I flattened the hinges and the door now fits very nicely and works correctly.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The obvious solution would have been to get a negative thickness shim, but they are NLA with all of the usual suppliers.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The obvious solution would have been to get a negative thickness shim, but they are NLA with all of the usual suppliers.
I note that you specified "usual suppliers". I suspect you are correct and that Jan has acquired the entire supply.
Bill

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Mark, You may well be right. I am not claiming to know something that others don't, simply reporting that we have found several cars with shims behind the hinges. As you say, they may well be home made.

Tim R

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, I hope you didn't crack the welds, and your door falls off going down the street?
Jan
Not to worry, I've still got the 'ole buzz box. But hey, they are still intact. It's not like I had to totally smash them together, just about an eighth or so. The metal is so soft it is hard to imagine cracking anything. What is your recommendation in situations like I described?

Bill

Last edited: