• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just another barn find thread......

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
FYI. Pulled the trigger on the car during lunch. Hopefully when can get it home without breaking in half. Thanks for the assistance DanR!

Stormbringer

Donation Time
I've got a ton of pictures of the subframe and floor panels I built, just send me a PM. I think you are going to find that, like my car, the lower 6" of the entire car will be in bad shape. I was looking into the rover V8 swap when I started this project but am glad I went with the v6, they really do fit in there nice.
Dan

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
What's funny is that this car won't have the typical rot from salt and such. It will have rot from dirty rain splashing up from the ground for 30 years. Haha. Working on a donor sub-frame.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
There's too many good cars available or soon to be. Just returned from a fellow hoarder I mean collector :) who has a few unimproved properties that are resting places for his collection. Here's a appeal to a pal, " I have 5 Tigers and two original fan shrouds. "

loose_electron

Donation Time
There's too many good cars available or soon to be. Just returned from a fellow hoarder I mean collector :) who has a few unimproved properties that are resting places for his collection. Here's a appeal to a pal, " I have 5 Tigers and two original fan shrouds. "

Sometimes they got to dig the hole for a bit. I've done the rust panel fabrication-replacement in a younger life. Not for me.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's tough to see an Alpine go to the scrap yard.

Even small pieces that seem to have little to no value are hard for me to let go.

Saving the Sunbeam needs careful evaluation before starting to the salvage yard or restoration.

The SAOCA motto of "Keep'em-on-the-Road" should be 1st option.

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
I stand corrected. After looking at the trunk, I realize that the gas tank is bottom center, and there is a folding shelf above.

Attachments

• IMG_4841.JPG
    IMG_4841.JPG
    445.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4842.JPG
    IMG_4842.JPG
    445.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4843.JPG
    IMG_4843.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_E4839.JPG
    IMG_E4839.JPG
    489.7 KB · Views: 70

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
I actually tracked down the son of the 2nd owner yesterday afternoon. Not 15 miles from my house. His Dad bought it on a whim and parked it in the woods with the rest of his "collection", never to be driven. What a small world. I'm the 4th owner it appears.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Believe it or not, your description does not quite meet the actual pictures depicted on the Forum....

I believe you have a much better Alpine to work with than previously described.

When you get a chance to take some detailed PIC's from underneath, I'm sure the Forum would be interested,

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
Anybody know approximately how many turns it takes to get the knock offs removed? I’ve turned 2 full rotations and the hub has not loosened from the spline at all.

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
Lesson learned. Of course I picked the wheel that is the most difficult to start on when all the others come off very easily. ~8 turns.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
IF all you want is to be able to roll the Alpine around, just buy a set of tubes and use the old tires. Probably last for several years.....

The hub splines look to be fairly good and if so they are hard to find. Do you have any idea the mileage on the Alpine?

thecatsmeow

Bronze Level Sponsor
55k on the odometer. Unfortunately the wire wheels are in extremely bad shape. Most of them have flat spots on the rim of the wheels where it has sat on the ground for so many years. Too many broken wires to count. I did find a super cheap set of late 80s Mustang wheels with tires. Now that I have confirmed the lug pattern is 4X108mm I feel pretty comfortable buying the used wheels and tires to move it around. It appears that the hubs are attached with bolts instead of studs and nuts to hold the wheel on. Is that correct?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You will probably have to replace the bolts with studs but for just rolling around with steel wheels the bolts may work if long enough.